Alumni Spotlight: Christopher Anderson
Dr. Christopher Anderson, DVM 2003, says his days at the College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) really set the stage for the work he does every day—and in his “dream job,” no less. Read more >>
A Unique Patient at the U
The University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center welcomed a unique patient last fall. Oyster, an 84-pound sea turtle, got a CT scan. She had not been using her front left flipper as well as she had in the past. Read more >>
CVM Creates Test to Detect Virus Killing Pigs
The University of Minnesota's Veterinary Diagnostic Lab quickly created a test to identify the virus in pigs through blood or saliva.
Read more >>
- Dr. Rick Goullaud, 1983 DVM, completed the IRONMAN Wisconsin race in Madison, Wisconsin, in September. He was the first in his age bracket, with a time of 13 hours and 25 minutes. This accomplishment qualifies him for the IRONMAN World Championship in Hawaii and the Olympic-Distance National Championships in Milwaukee.
- Dr. Mark Brody, 1997 DVM, has recently retired!
- Dr. Jerri Smith, 2003 DVM, received an award from Companion Laser Company for “Veterinary Best Therapeutic Laser Case Study” on Stewie the cat.
- Dr. Jodi Shultz, 2004 DVM, 2009 DACLAM, is now the chief of Veterinary Clinical Services at Yale School of Medicine.
- Dr. Michelle Rider, 2005 DVM, is now the owner of the Mishicot Veterinary Clinic in Mishicot, Wisconsin.
- Dr. Katherine Schiller, 2010 PhD, is a senior clinical research specialist at Medtronic.
- Dr. Carla Baum, 2012 DVM, completed a rotating internship at Garden State Veterinary Specialists, a private practice in New Jersey, and is currently serving a cardiology internship with Blue Pearl Veterinary Partners in Tampa, Florida.
- Dr. Dana Neiman, 2013 DVM, is currently in a small animal rotating medicine and surgery internship at the Animal Medical Center in New York City. She will be moving back to Minnesota this summer and pursuing an ER position.
- Dr. Paul Lundgren, class of 1951, passed away on December 30, 2013, at age 88.
- Dr. Kenneth Gillette, class of 1954, passed away in November 2013.
- Dr. Gene Kind, class of 1955, passed away on December 15, 2013. He was the Minnesota Veterinary Medical Association president from 1986-1987.
- Dr. Robert Sartori, class of 1957, passed away on July 25, 2013, at age 83. He was the owner of Sun Prairie Vet Clinic and Sun Prairie Pet Clinic in Wisconsin and retired in 2008. He authored the book “Doc's Tales: The Art and Science of Veterinary Practice.”
- Dr. Dale Haggard, class of 1959, passed away on November 27, 2013, at age 79. He was in large animal practice for many years in southwest Minnesota before joining the faculty at Michigan State University, where he also received a master’s degree from the College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Haggard joined the faculty of the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Minnesota in 1978, where he also held an appointment with University of Minnesota Extension. He was a beef cattle expert and provided ambulatory service for beef cattle herds during his time on faculty at the college.
- Dr. Harry Rozmiarek, class of 1962, died unexpectedly on June 15, 2013. Secretary-general of the International Council for Laboratory Animal Science, he had also directed laboratory animal medicine at the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia since 2004. Harry was known for his commitment to the development of guidelines for the proper care and use of animals in research. He was a past president of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, American Society of Laboratory Animal Practitioners, and American Association for Laboratory Animal Science.
- Dr. Kenneth Peterson, class of 1963, died on January 4. Ken served in the U.S. military before attending the College of Veterinary Medicine. He operated a large and small animal and exotic animal clinic in Brownton, Minnesota, for 50 years.
- Dr. Jerry Ahrendt, class of 1964, passed away in September 2013 at age 71. He was a longtime veterinarian in the Delano, Minnesota, area.
- Dr. Robert "Bob" W. Oman, class of 1976, whom a Barron, Wisconsin, newspaper called "one of the brightest faces in the Barron community," died October 23, 2013. A longtime partner at the Barron Veterinary Clinic, Bob joined the firm in 1979 and retired in 2007. He worked most of his years with large animals at area dairy farms, where he made friends with both farmers and their animals.
International Conference on One Medicine One Science (iCOMOS)
April 27-30, 2014
Mather Lecture Series
Join us in person or online. Register: www.cvm.umn.edu/vetmedce/events/mather
March 6, 2014
Critical Care Medicine
Antibiotic Use in the Small Animal Patient
April 3, 2014
Clinical Case Challenge
May 1, 2014
Spay and Neuter: Questioning Conventional Wisdom from Different Viewpoints
Alumni Reception, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Forum
June 4, 2014 6:30-8:00 p.m.
Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center
2800 Opryland Drive, Nashville, TN 37214
The Alumni Reception at the MVMA convention was held on February 6, 2014 at the Minneapolis Hilton. View photos from the reception on Facebook.
"You may have some bad days, but don’t be discouraged by them."
- Dr. Gerald Lahmers, Class of 1963
What is the meaning of the University of Minnesota's motto, Omnibus artibus commune vinculu?
Visit the Alumni Tails website to find the answer
Contribute a class note such as a significant life change, a new job, research progress, an award, a new child, retirement, marriage, etc., for publication online or in printed material. We will not publish your contact information.
Please fill out this form and tell us your story. We want to share your story with CVM graduates!
If you are interested in serving on the CVM Alumi & Friends Society Board or becoming a committee member, please fill out this form. Future e-newsletters will include board initiatives and activities.
CVM alumni receptions at major national conferences and learn about other alumni events. We would love to see you!
Sign up to become a mentor for first year DVM students. The program begins in October and ends the following April.
Plan a class reunion! Jen Scholl, the CVM alumni relations officer, can provide you with resources to make it easy. Just e-mail her at email@example.com or call 612-624-1247.
Support the U is a coalition of alumni, students, faculty, staff, and community members who are committed to educating elected officials and our community about the importance of the University of Minnesota to the state.
If you have any questions or concerns about this newsletter or alumni matters, please contact:
CVM Senior Alumni Relations Officer