VPH Application Process
Residents are accepted into the residency program multiple times throughout the year; typically January, May, or September to correspond with the academic calendar. We post a separate job posting on the University of Minnesota Human Resources site for each opening. Currently we are not accepting applications. If you would like to be notified via email when the next residency position is open for application email VPH Programs Coordinator Sarah Summerbell.
Applicants must apply to both the veterinary preventive medicine and public health (VPH) residency program and the School of Public Health. While application to the residency can be multiple times each year, the executive master of public health (MPH) program admits students only during the summer session (i.e., May) and has a March 1 deadline for U.S. applicants and a February 1 deadline for international applicants.
- A doctorate of veterinary medicine (DVM) or an equivalent foreign degree
- At least one year experience in private practice, a corporate setting, or government in one of the following areas:
- wildlife or domestic animal preventive medicine;
- infectious disease diagnosis and treatment;
- food animal production, harvesting or processing; or
- public health infectious disease surveillance and outbreak investigation
- Must meet the admission requirements of the School of Public Health
Please apply through the University of Minnesota Human Resources online system. Applications must include:
- Current CV
- Letter of intent
- Three letters of recommendation (professional references)
Letters of recommendation can be submitted online or mailed to:
Attn: Sarah Summerbell
Center for Animal Health and Food Safety
136 Andrew Boss Lab
1354 Eckles Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
Download an overview of both the VPH and MPH application processes.