What's Inside

College Links









Make a Gift box

  Home > Investigator Support

Investigator Support

 The CIC offers a range of services to the Investigator, from simple budget review, to full study coordination.  Many services are at no charge; please contact us for more details.

Downloads  - Forms (VMC Hospital Impact Checklist, CIC checklist for clinical trials, Research charges form and more).

Grant-related information

IACUC training and approvals - IACUC requires lab safety training as well as IACUC and ROHP

Consent forms

Required University training

Statistical support



Grant-related information

  • Funding opportunities and resources (takes you to the college research site)

  • Sponsored Projects Administration (SPA) – All externally funded projects must go through SPA and require a Proposal Routing Form (PRF).
  • Links:
    • SPA
    • EGMS (Electronic Grants Management System) for PRF

Return to top


Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)

All studies involving animals must have an approved ACUP (Animal Care and Use Protocol).  Allow one - two months for this process!

New! ACUP forms are now in Type this into your browse for sign on screen.

For more information, see the IACUC web site:

All personnel listed as having animal contact on an IACUC application must have the following training/certifications:

Return to top


Consent Forms

CIC SAMPLE FORM. Client consent forms must contain standard information. Appendix M found on eprotocol lists what is required.

Return to top


Required University Training

All faculty or clinicians who intend to be a Principal Investigator (PI) on a study that has outside sponsorship must complete training called Responsible Conduct of Research.  See: for more information and class schedules.

Residents and graduate students serving as PI on internally funded grants do not need this training.

See IACUC training and approvals above for more required training.

Return to top


Statistical Support

  • Statistical consulting is now available for all college researchers at no charge, thanks to an investment by the three CVM departments, the Dean for Research, and the Dean for Academic Affairs. This includes assistance with writing grant proposals, designing studies, analyzing data, interpreting results, writing reports and papers, and responding to reviewers. Researchers at any stage are welcome, though beginning a consulting relationship at the design stage is recommended as potential later difficulties can often be avoided. Aaron Rendahl, Manager of the UMN Statistical Consulting Service, is the main consultant, with a part-time office in 295B AS/VM. Email Aaron at

  • Biostatistics, Design and Analysis Center. Offered through the Academic Health Center, fee-based services range from data entry up through design. Your initial contact with them at grant-writing stage is at no charge.

  • The Statistical Consulting Service. Depending on availability, researchers may also see additional consultants in the St. Paul Consulting Service office, 48B McNeal. To make an appointment, email See their site for more information.

  • Cancer Center –- members can get consulting on writing proposal; if funded, budget for their services.  Any research that relates to cancer can qualify. See:

Return to top


The Comparative Pathology Shared Resource (a part of the Cancer Center) provides pathology support and expertise on a fee-for-service basis.

Return to top

Notice of Privacy Practices