College – University of Illinois
Professional (DVM ) - University of Illinois
Graduate (PhD) - University of Minnesota
Internship - University of Georgia
Residency - University of Minnesota
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- American Animal Hospital Association
- International Renal Interest Society
- Society of Veterinary Nephrology/Urology
- Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society
- Minnesota Veterinary Medical Association
- American Society of Nephrology
- International Society of Nephrology
- National Kidney Foundation
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- Diagnostic methods
- Treatment – diet, calcitriol, phosphorus management, acid-base management
- Progression of CKD – pathophysiology, interventions
- Glomerulopathies – pathology, mechanisms, treatment
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) – diagnosis and management methods
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia
- Diseases of the Kidneys
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Renal Physiology
- Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-base Disorders – pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment
- Clinical nephrology
- Urinary tract infections
- Diseases of the lower urinary tract
- Jacob F, Polzin DJ, Osborne CA, Allen TD, Kirk C, Neaton JD, Lekcharoensuk C, Swanson L: Clinical evaluation of dietary modification for treatment of spontaneous chronic renal failure in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 220:1163-1170, 2002.
- Jacob F, Polzin DJ, Osborne CA, et al.: Effect of Systemic Arterial Blood Pressure on Morbidity and Mortality in Dogs with Spontaneous Chronic Renal Failure. J Am Vet Med Assoc 222:322-329, 2003.
- Jacob F, Polzin DJ, Osborne CA, et al: Evaluation of the association between initial proteinuria and morbidity rate or death in dogs with naturally occurring chronic renal failure. J Am Vet Med Assoc 226: 393-400, 2005.
- Torres S, Diaz S, Nogueira S, Jessen C, Polzin D, Gilbert S, Horne K. Frequency of urinary tract infection among dogs with pruritic disorders receiving long-term glucocorticoid treatment. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 227: 239-243, 2005.
- Ross SJ, Osborne CA, Kirk CA, Lowry SR, Koehler LA, Polzin DJ. Clinical evaluation of dietary modification for treatment of spontaneous chronic kidney disease in cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc 229:949-957, 2006.
- Ross SJ, Osborne CA, Lekcharoensuk C, Koehler LA, Polzin DJ. A case-control study of the effects of nephrolithiasis in cats with chronic kidney disease. JAVMA, Vol 230, No. 12, June 15, 2007.
- SE Helmond, DJ Polzin, PJ Armstrong, M Finke, SA Smith: Treatment of canine immune-mediated hemolytic anemia with individually adjusted heparin dosing: A pilot study. J Vet Intern Med 24:597-605, 2010.
- Polzin D: Chronic Kidney Disease. In, Ettinger S and Feldman E: Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine. Saunders. 2010, pp. 2036-2067.
- Nephrology and Urology of Small Animals. Bartges J and Polzin D (eds), Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 2011.
Awards and Honors
- ESVNU-Hill’s Excellence in Veterinary Nephrology and Urology Award, 2005
- U of MN CVM “Mark of Excellence Award” 2006