Minnesota Urolith Center
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences
College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Minnesota
St Paul, MN 55108
College: Northwestern University, Evanston Illinois
Tuskegee University, DVM
University of Minnesota, PhD
Internship: Small Animal Rotating Internship: University of Minnesota
Residency: Internal Medicine: University of Minnesota
Veterinary Medical Associations: AVMA, MVMA
Specialty Organizations ACVIM: small animal internal medicine
Professional Societies; Veterinary nephrology and Urology, Research On Calculi Kinetics
- Calcium oxalate urolith epidemiology, etiopathiogenesis, dissolution, and prevention
- Urolith analysis
- Biomarkers of Disease (NMR spectroscopy, proteomics, metabolomics, genetics)
- Urinary tract oncology
- Clinical and translational research
- Spontaneous Animal Models for Disease
- Urinary tract infections
- Nephrology and Urology
- Problem solving
- Internal medicine
- Small Animal Internal Medicine
- Urology and nephrology
- Laser lithotripsy
- Minimally Invasive Interventional procedures to manage urinary tract disorders
- Lulich JP, Osborne CA, Carvalho M, Nakagawa Y. The Effects of a urolith prevention diet on urine compositions of glycosaminoglycans, Tamm-Horsfall glycoprotein and nephrocalcin in cats with calcium oxalate urolithiasis. AJVR, publication December 2011.
- Lulich JP, Osborne CA, Albasan H, Monga M, Bevan JM. Efficacy and safety of laser lithotripsy in fragmentation of urocystoliths and urethroliths for removal in dogs. JAVMA, 2009;234:1279-1285.
- Mauricio C, Lulich JP, Osborne CA, Nakagawa Y. Defective urinary crystallization inhibition and urine stone formation. International Braz J Urol. 2006;32:342-349.
- Lulich JP, Osborne CA, Lekcharoensuk C, et al. Effects of diet on urine composition of cats with calcium oxalate urolithiasis. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2004;40:185-191.
- Lekcharoensuk C., Osborne CA, Lulich JP, Thumchai R , Kirk Claudia, Ulrich LK, Koehler LA, Carpenter KA, Swanson LL. Association between dietary factors and the risk of calcium oxalate and magnesium ammonium phosphate urolithiasis in cats: JAVMA 2001; 219(9):1228-1237.
- Lulich JP, Osborne CA, Lekcharoensuk C, Kirk CA, Allen TA. Effects of hydrochlorothiazide and diet in dogs with calcium oxalate urolithiasis. J of the American Veterinary Association, J American Veterinary Medical Association. 2001; 218: 1583-1586.
Awards and Honors
- Osborne/Hills endowed Chair in nephrology and urology
- Co-Director: Minnesota Urolith Center
- Professor, Internal Medicine, University of Minnesota
- Distinguished Alumnus Award form Tuskegee Veterinary Alumni Association
- Norden Distinguished Teacher of the Year. College of Veterinary Medicine, 2001
- Speaker of the Year (companion animal program), North American Veterinary
- Conference, 2007
- World Small Animal Veterinary Association Excellence in Veterinary Heath Care Award, 2007