Gold University of Minnesota M. Skip to main content.University of Minnesota.
Driven to Discover.
What's Inside

College Links









Make a Gift box


  Home > International Programs > Preparing for your Experience

Preparing for your Experience

Every detail counts when planning a study trip abroad. The following checklist will help you in your preparations. In addition, refer to the additional resources mentioned on this website or to the University of Minnesota Learning Abroad Center website for the most current travel warnings and requirements.

Travel Insurance
This mandatory insurance is offered by the University of Minnesota. All students going abroad must have this insurance. Insurance must be purchased through the University of Minnesota. Do not purchase insurance directly from CISI. Go to the U of M Learning Abroad Center website. Click on 'Health and Safety' followed by 'International Travel, Health, and Security Insurance'.  Hand in the form at the College of Veterinary Medicine, Academic and Student Affairs office.

Release and Waiver  
This form is mandatory and must be turned in before going abroad. Download and complete the form, and then hand it in to the College of Veterinary Medicine, Academic and Student Affairs office.

Safety Abroad 
Travel warnings and advisories change constantly. Refer to the following websites for up-to-date travel information. If you propose to study abroad in a country on the U.S. State Department travel warning list, it is mandatory that you gain prior University approval from the Education Abroad Suspension Committee.  Requests must be submitted at least two months before departure.  For more information, go to the following websites: 

Passports and Visas  
If you do not have a current passport, make sure to allow at least 6 to 8 weeks, after applying, to receive your passport. When having passport pictures taken, have several extras taken for other program-related paperwork. Visa requirements constantly change, so be informed about the requirements in the country where you are doing your study abroad.

College Funding and Course Credit  
If you receiving funding or course credit from the College, remember to inform Academic and Student Affairs of your whereabouts, be sure to receive approval to receive credit for your study abroad, and remember that you are still responsible for keeping up-to-date with College happenings. If you are unable to check your email abroad, be sure to have a back-up plan or a friend who can inform you of class activities, due paperwork, course registration, and anything else that pertains to the CVM program.

Although attending a University orientation session is not mandatory, it may be extremely informative and will help you to get your questions answered by specialists in this field. The types of things covered at these sessions are travel information, visa information, customs and immigration, packing information, getting the most of your experience, and health and safety. The U of M Learning Abroad Center provides orientation information and can provide you with more detailed schedules.



Notice of Privacy Practices

Manage Your Site(manage site)
Site Hierarchy
You have chosen the  section.
Add a new sub-section to this section of your site.
Remove this section from your site.
Move this section to another location in your site.
Use this section as the error handler for your site.
Do not use this section as the error handler for your site.
Edit the properties of this section below...
Section ID:
Section Label:
Include in Navigation:
Contributor Only:
Ready to Replicate:
Url Directory Name:
Url Page Name:
Maximum Age:
You have chosen the  section.
  Primary layout page is not set    clear
Preview layout   Apply
You have chosen the  section.
  Secondary layout page is not set    clear
Preview layout   Apply
You have chosen the  section.
Edit the custom properties of this section below...