VMCAS Application Procedures
The University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine is a part of a national application service for U.S. and Canadian schools of veterinary medicine. The service is known as the Veterinary Medical College Application Service or VMCAS. With one Web-based application, prospective veterinary students may submit their initial application to any of the U.S. or Canadian veterinary colleges that are participating in the VMCAS program.
The University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine requires that all applicants, resident and non-resident, submit their initial application via VMCAS. International applicants are considered for admission only if their pre-veterinary coursework has been completed at an accredited U.S. college or university.
Admission Process for the University of Minnesota
Important points to the application procedures:
- The VMCAS application deadline for fall 2014 applications is Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013 at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (12:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time).
- The University of Minnesota does not include a supplemental application but does require an additional application processing fee of $85 due no later than October 2, 2013. Applicants not submitting the Minnesota application processing fee will not be considered for admission. You can pay your application fee online with a credit or debit card this summer.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores must be received by the College no later than October 2, 2013. We are accepting both versions of the exam.
- Official copies of all transcripts from any college or university should be sent to VMCAS no later than September 1, 2013. The U of M will be unable to process or forward transcripts that are sent to us and not to VMCAS. If you have sent transcripts to the U of M in the past you will need to send new transcripts directly to VMCAS. You can find more information on the transcript verification process here: http://aavmc.org/transcriptver.aspx
- Fall semester/quarter grades will not be included in the evaluation of applicants. The academic record used in the evaluation of applicants will end as the applicant's academic record stands at the end of summer term prior to the October 2nd application deadline. Those offered provisional admission will send a final transcript at the end of spring term 2014, which will reflect grades received fall term 2013 and spring 2014, if applicable.
- All required pre-veterinary coursework must be complete by the end of spring term prior to the start of the D.V.M. program in the fall. All college coursework must be listed on the VMCAS application as either 1) complete, 2) in-progress or 3) planned for fall, winter, or spring terms. Applicants not listing all required pre-veterinary courses for the University of Minnesota will not be considered complete and will not be considered for admission.
- The final step in our review of applicants is an on-campus interview – all applicants that meet the academic standards and subjective review standards set by the Admissions Committee of the College will be invited to campus for an interview. Students invited to interview but failing to do so, will not be considered for admission.
- All applicants will receive an update as to their status in early January 2014. At this time, qualified applicants will be invited to campus to participate in an interview. Status updates will not be available prior to this time.
The Web-based VMCAS application, electronic Letters of Evaluations,VMCAS fees, and transcripts, will be handled by the national VMCAS office in Washington D.C. Official GRE test results are to be sent directly to the colleges to which you are seeking admission. The application deadline for the University of Minnesota is October 2, 2013 at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. VMCAS encourages you to do the final submit of your web application in early September to ensure all materials have been verified prior to the October 2nd deadline.
The web site for fall 2014 admission will be available on June 5th, 2013.
Click to view the VMCAS Application instructions.
Click on this link to begin your application.
VMCAS Contact Information
VMCAS Student and Advisor Hotline: (617) 612-2884
VMCAS Fax: (617) 612-2051
VMCAS Email: email@example.com
Submit to the VMCAS Application Service no later than September 1st, 2013
- Transcripts from every undergraduate institution attended. Foreign transcripts will need to be evaluated by a transcript evaluation service. Important transcript verification information can be found here.
Submit to the VMCAS Application Service by 1 pm (EDT) October 2nd, 2013
- Your completed electronic VMCAS application.
- Your VMCAS electronic LOR’s (Letters of Recommendation) submitted by a minimum of three individuals that you have identified on your application.
- The appropriate VMCAS application fees based on the number of veterinary colleges to which you are seeking admission.
Submit to the University of Minnesota
The following items are to be sent directly to the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine (and to other veterinary colleges to which you might be seeking admission).
- University of Minnesota application processing fee of $85 will be due by October 2nd, 2013. Applicants not submitting the Minnesota application processing fee will not be considered for admission. Applicants are required to pay their application fee online with a credit or debit card.
- Official GRE Score Reports taken after October 1, 2008 including the three sections of the General GRE – Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning and Analytical Writing. The GRE score reports must reach our office no later than October 2nd, 2013. We are accepting scores from both the old and revised version of the GRE exam.
Fall 2014 Checklist
GRE – The University of Minnesota requires the general GRE.
Please use code 6904 for University of Minnesota, College of Vet Medicine. A department code is not required.
Web-based and classroom-based GRE test preparation coursework is offered by the College of Continuing Education at the University of Minnesota. The cost of both the online course including course materials and CD-ROM for PC computer use that simulates computer adaptive testing and the cost of the classroom course are $580. Students may register via the Web at www.cce.umn.edu/testprep or by phone (credit card only) at 612-624-4000.
Supplemental Application – The University of Minnesota does not include a supplemental application for admission. In its place, an interview has been added to the "evaluation of applicants."
Processing Fee – The $85 University of Minnesota processing fee should not be forwarded to VMCAS but directly to the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine. The fee will by due by October 2, 2013. Your application will not be considered until the processing fee is paid. You can pay the application fee online with a credit or debit card beginning this summer.
Mailing Address and Contact Information:
Office of Academic and Student Affairs
College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Minnesota
108 Pomeroy Center, 1964 Fitch Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108