B.S. Michigan State University (1982)
D.V.M. Michigan State University, College of Veterinary Medicine (1984)
Ph.D. University of Minnesota, Veterinary Medicine – Population Medicine, Minor in Epidemiology, School of Public Health (1992)
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine
- Epidemiologic studies related to the prevention and control of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis (Johne’s disease), Salmonella, and other manure-cycle pathogens, and to the prevention and eradication of Mycobacterium bovis (bovine tuberculosis) in cattle and other food-producing animals.
- Use of analytic epidemiologic methods directed towards control of economically important disease conditions in livestock and poultry, including monitoring and surveillance, herd prevalence estimation and testing, risk factor modeling, risk assessment, and use of data from complex surveys.
- Prevention and control of infectious diseases in cattle, including Johne’s disease and bovine tuberculosis.
- Advanced Clinical Epidemiology (CVM 6222 / VMED 5994)
- Monitoring and Surveillance of Foodborne Diseases of Humans and Animals (VMED 5165 / PUBH 6181)
- Surveillance of Zoonotic Pathogens in Animals (PubH 7200-113)
- Farm to Table Study Program – Uruguay
For a listing of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine, and Google Scholar.
- Evaluation of the cost-benefit of use of Johne’s disease vaccine while considering effects on bovine tuberculosis. USDA-CSREES-NRI.
- JDIP: Johne’s Disease Integrated Program in Research, Education, and Extension Phase II. USDA-CSREES NRICGP Integrated – Animal and Plant Biosecurity.
- Evaluation of test performance of individual and pooled Johne’s Disease diagnostic tests using a Bayesian approach. USDA-APHIS-VS.
- Wisconsin Johne’s Disease Demonstration Herd Project. Wisconsin Dept of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection.
- A systems approach to develop improved bovine tuberculosis mitigation strategies. USDA NIFA.
- National Veterinary Stockpile Emergency Response and Asset Management Capacity. USDA-APHIS-VS.
- Facilitating Public-Private Partnerships to Support National Preparedness for Animal Health Emergencies. USDA-APHIS-VS.
- Luis Espejo, PhD candidate 2011 (expected), Veterinary Medicine. Thesis title: Concentration of Mycobacterium avium paratuberculosis in dairy herds and its effect on control of Johne’s disease.
- Joao Lima, PhD candidate 2012 (expected), Veterinary Medicine.
- Noel Kubat, MPH candidate 2010 (expected). Thesis title: Evaluation of Delayed Exposure by Cattle to Mycobacterium avium subsp paratuberculosis as an animal and potential public health control measure.
- Douglas Coobs, MPH candidate 2010 (expected).
- Kelly Straka, DVM-MPH candidate 2011 (expected).