Professor - Veterinary Public Health
1354 Eckles Ave
St. Paul , MN 55108
Professor – Veterinary Public Health
Hospital Epidemiologist – Veterinary Medical Center
Co-Director Upper Midwest Agricultural Safety and Health Center – (UMASH)
Co-Director Minnesota Center of Excellence in Influenza Research (MCEIRS) - Human-Animal Interface Studies
B.S. California Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo, (1985)
D.V.M. University of Minnesota, (1989)
M.S. University of Minnesota, (1995)
Diplomate American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine
Working at the Interface of Human and Animal Health
- Zoonoses and Emerging Diseases
- Food Safety
- Antimicrobial Resistance
- Infectious Disease Surveillance
DVM Professional Courses
Veterinary Public Health (CVM 6030) – Course for 3rd year veterinary students to discuss and describe the epidemiology of zoonotic diseases (e.g. animal bites, rabies, anthrax, Salmonella, E. coli O157, blastomycosis)
Veterinary Public Health Rotation – Course for 4th year veterinary students providing case examples, field visits, and discussion of veterinary public health issues (e.g. food safety, zoonotic diseases, environmental health, risk communication).
Diseases Common to Humans and Animals (VMED 8090) – Graduate level course involving the description, life cycle, modes of transmission, and prevention methods for zoonotic diseases of importance for human health
Public Health Institute Courses
World Food Problems (PubH 7200-106) This interdisciplinary course provides an overview of world food problems, including the social, political and economic reasons for malnutrition and food accessibility among developing countries.
Epidemiology of Foodborne Pathogens (PubH 7200-101) This course provides an overview of foodborne pathogens in the United States. Students will become familiar with the natural history and epidemiology of common foodborne pathogens. This will include clinical presentations, reservoirs, modes of transmission, specific food vehicles, and measures to prevent or reduce infection.
Use of Epi Info in Epidemiologic Investigations (PubH 7200-102) Course provides an introduction to the use of Epi Info software for epidemiologic investigations including data management and basic data analysis.
Understanding the Emergence of Zoonotic Diseases (PubH 7200-131) Course focuses on zoonotic diseases of public health importance, reviewing the genetic, biological, social, environmental, and ecological factors for the emergence or re-emergence of zoonotic diseases.
Select Recent Publications by Research Area
Staphylococcus and MRSA
- Bender JB, Schiffman E, Hiber L, Gerads L, Olsen K. Recovery of staphylococci from computer keyboards in a veterinary medical centre and the effect of routine cleaning. Veterinary Record 2012;170:414.
- Haran KP, Godden S, Boxrud D, Jawahir S, Bender J, Sreevatsan S. Prevalence and Characterization of Staphylococcus aureus, including Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Isolated from Bulk Tank Milk from Minnesota Dairy Farms. J Clin Micro, 2012; 50:688-95.
- Dressler AE, Scheibel RP, Wardyn S, Harper AL, Hanson BL, Kroefer JS, Diekema DJ, Bender JB, Gray GC, Smith TC. Prevalence, antibiotic resistance, and molecular characterization of Staphylococcus aureus in state fair swine. Veterinary Record, 2012;170:495.
- Bender JB, Waters KM, Nerby J, Olsen K, Jawahir S. MRSA isolated from pets living in households with MRSA-infected children. (in press Clin Inf Dis, 2011)
- Davies P, Wagstrom L, Bender JB. Lethal necrotizing pneumonia caused by an ST398 Staphylococcus aureus strain. Emerging Infect Disease 2011;17:1152
- Coughlan K, Olsen KE, Boxrud D, Bender JB. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in resident animals of a long-term care facility. Zoonoses and Public Health 2010;57:220-226.
- Bender JB, Torres S, Gilbert S, Olsen K. Isolation of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from a non-healing abscess in a cat. Vet Rec. 2005;157:388.
- Gordoncillo MJ, Noffsinger J, Bartlett P, Bender J. Open-access Antimicrobial Resistance Learning Site for Veterinary Students (accepted J Vet Med Educ, 2011) (See example case studies at http://amrls.cvm.msu.edu/)
- Umber J, Bender J. Pets and antimicrobial resistance. Veterinary Clinics of North America, Small Animal March 2009.
- Sannes MR, Belongia EA, Kieke B, Smith KE, Vandermause M, Bender J, Clabots C, Winokur P, Johnson JR. Predictors of antimicrobial-resistant Escherichia coli in the feces of vegetarians and newly hospitalized adults in Minnesota and Wisconsin. J Infect Dis, 2008;197:430-434.
- Johnson JR, Sannes MR, Croy C, Johnston B, Clabots C, Kuskowski MA, Bender J, Smith KE, Winokur PL, Belongia EA. Molecular comparison of antimicrobial and susceptible Escherichia coli isolates from humans and poultry products in Minnesota and Wisconsin, 2002-2004. Emerg Infect Disease 2007;13:838-845.
- Griggs JP, Bender JB, Jacob JP. Microbial safety of chickens raised without antibiotics. J Appl Poult Res, 2006;15:475-482.Medus C, Smith K, Bender J, Besser J, Hedberg C.
- Cho S. Diez-Gonzalez F, Fossler C, Wells SJ, Hedberg CW, Kaneene JB, Ruegg P, Warnick L, Bender JB. Antimicrobial susceptibility of Shiga toxin producing Escherichia coli isolated from organic dairy farms, conventional dairy farms, and county fairs in Minnesota. Foodborne Pathogens & Disease, 2007;178-186.
- Lopes VC, Wedel SD, Bender JB, Smith KE, Leano FT, Boxrud DJ, Lauer DC, Velayudhan BT, Nagaraja KV. Emergence of antimicrobial resistant Salmonella enterica serotype Newport in Minnesota. Clin Inf Dis 2006;43:210-3.
- Wright JG, Tengelsen LA, Smith KE, Bender JB, Frank R, Grendon JH, Rice DH, Thiessen AMB, Gilbertson CJ, Sivapalasingam S, Barrett T, Besser TE, Hancock DD, Angulo FJ. Multidrug-Resistant Salmonella Typhimurium in four animal facilities. Emerging Inf Diseases 2005;11:1235-1241.
- Wedel SD, Bender JB, Leano FT, Boxrud DJ, Hedberg C, Smith KE. Predominance of clinical isolates of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium from humans and animals in Minnesota in the same two clonal groups. Emerging Infect Dis 2005:12:1899-1906.
General Food Safety
- Newkirk R, Hedberg C, Bender J. The Potential Capability of Social Media as a Component of Food Safety and Food Terrorism Surveillance Systems. (accepted Foodborne Disease and Pathogens 2011)
- Newkirk R, Hedberg C, Bender JB. Establishing a Milkborne Disease Outbreak Profile: Potential Food Defense Implications. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease 2011;8:433-437.
- Jacobs JP, Griggs JP, Bender JB. Characterization of small-scale antibiotic-free broiler production in Minnesota. J Applied Poultry Research 2008;17:412-20.
- Hedberg, C, Bender J, Vesley D. Protecting Food, Water, and Ambient Air, In Terrorism and Public Health. Levy and Sidel, Oxford University Press, 2003
- Bender JB, Smith KE, Hedberg CW, Osterholm MT. Foodborne disease into the 21st century: What challenges await us? Postgrad Medicine 1999; 106:109-12, 115-16, 119.
- Mehlenbacher S, Churchill J, Olsen KE, Bender JB. Availability, Brands, Labeling and Salmonella Contamination of Raw Pet Food in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area Zoonosis and Public Health, 2012 epub 5/2012
- Goupil B, Trent A, Bender J, Olsen K, Morningstar B, Wunschmann A. A Longitudinal Study of Salmonella from snakes used in a Public Outreach Program (accepted Zoo and Wildlife Medicine, 2012)
- Medus C, Smith KE, Bender JB, Leano F, Hedberg CW. Salmonella infections in foodworkers identified through routine surveillance in Minnesota: impact on outbreak recognition. J of Food Protection 2010;73:2053-2058.
- Smith K, Medus C, Meyer S, Boxrud D, Leano F, Hedberg C, Elfering K, Braymen C, Bender J, Danila R. Outbreaks of Salmonellosis in Minnesota (1998-2006) associated with frozen, microwaveable, breaded, stuffed chicken products. J Food Protection, 2008;71:2153-5160.
- Medus C, Smith K, Bender J, Besser J, Hedberg C. Salmonella outbreaks in restaurants in Minnesota, 1995-2003: Evaluation of the role of infected foodworkers. J Food Protection, 2006;69:1870-1878.
- Mermin J, Hutwagner L, Vugia D, Shallow S, Daily P, Bender J, Koehler J, Marcus R, Angulo F. Reptiles, Amphibians, and Human Salmonella Infection: A Population –Based, Case-Control Study. Clinical Infectious Disease 2005; 38 supplement 3: S253-S261
- Fossler CP, Wells SJ, Kaneene JB, Ruegg PL, Warnick LD, Bender JB, Godden SM, Halbert LW, Campbell AM, Geiger AM. Prevalence of Salmonella spp. on conventional and organic dairy farms JAVMA 2004;225:567-573.
- Glynn MK, V Reddy, L Hutwagner, T Fiorentino, B Shiferaw, D Vugia, S Segler, J Bender, TJ. Barrett, F J. Angulo and the FoodNet Working Group. Prior antimicrobial agent use increases sporadic infections with multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium: a FoodNet case-control study, 1996-1997. Clin. Inft Dis 2004; 38 Suppl 3:S227-236.
- Bender JB, Hedberg CW, Boxrud DJ, Besser JM, Wicklund JH, MacDonald KL, Osterholm MT. Molecular subtype surveillance of Salmonella typhimurium, Minnesota, 1994-1998. NEJM 2001; 344:189-195.
Shiga-toxin Producing E. coli
- Smith KE, Wilker PR, Reiter P, Hedican EB, Bender JB, Hedberg CW. Antibiotic treatment of Escherichia coli O157 infection and the risk of the Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome, Minnesota Ped Inf Dis J 2012;31:37-41.
- Cho S. Diez-Gonzalez F, Fossler C, Wells SJ, Hedberg CW, Kaneene JB, Ruegg P, Warnick L, Bender JB. Animal-level risk factors associated with fecal shedding of Shiga-toxin producing bacteria on dairy farms in Minnesota, USA Can J Vet Res 2009 April
- Cho S. Diez-Gonzalez F, Fossler C, Wells SJ, Hedberg CW, Kaneene JB, Ruegg P, Warnick L, Bender JB. Prevalence of shiga toxin-encoding bacteria and shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli isolates from dairy farms and county fairs. Veterinary Microbiology, 2006;118:289-298.
- Cho S, Bender JB, Diez-Gonzalez F, Fossler CP, Hedberg CW, and Wells SJ. Prevalence and Characterization of Escherichia coli O157 Isolates from Minnesota Dairy Farms and County Fairs. J Food Protection, 2006;69:252-259.
- Bender JB, Smith KE, McNess AA, Fiorentino TR, Segler SP, Hawkins MA, Spina NL, Keene WE, Van Gilder TJ, Hedberg LW and the Epi FoodNet Working Group. Surveillance for Escherichia coli O157 infections in FoodNet Sites, 1996-1999. Clin Infect Dis 2004; 38 Suppl 3:S157-164.
- Bender JB, Hedberg CW, Besser JM, Boxrud DJ, MacDonald KL, Osterholm MT. Surveillance for Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections in Minnesota by molecular subtyping. NEJM 1997; 337: 388-94.
- Bender JB, Shulman SA, Averback G, Stromberg B. Epidemiologic features of Campylobacter infection among cats in the upper midwestern United States. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2005;226:544–547.
- Friedman CR, Hoekstra RM, Samuel M, Marcus R, Bender JB, Beletshachew S, Reddy S, Desai S, Helfrick DL, Hardnett F, Carter M, Anderson B. Risk Factors for sporadic Campylobacter infections in the United States: A case-control study in FoodNet sites. Clin Infect Dis 2004; 38 Suppl 3:S285-296.
- Smith, K, Bender JB, Osterholm MT. Antimicrobial resistance in animals and relevance of human infections. In Campylobacter. 2nd Edition. Blaser and Nachamkin, ASM Press, 2000.
- Smith KE, Besser JM, Hedberg CW, Leano FT, Bender JB, Wicklund JH, Johnson BP, Moore KA, Osterholm MT. The epidemiology of quinolone-resistant Campylobacter jejuni infections in Minnesota, 1992-1998. NEJM 1999; 340:1525-1532.
Zoonotic and Emerging Diseases
- Gray GC, Bender JB, Bridges CB, Daly RF, Krueger WS, Male MJ, Heil GL, Friary JA, Derby RB, and Cox NJ. Pandemic Influenza Virus among Healthy US Swine Show Pigs. Emerg Infect Dis, 2012;18:1519.
- Somrongthong R, Beaudoin AL, Bender J, Laosee O, Pakinsee S, Sitthi-amorn C. Use of personal protective measures bu Thai Households in areas with avian influenza outbreaks. Zoonosis and Public Health 2012;59:339-46.
- Beaudoin A, Johnson S, Davies P, Bender J, Gramer M. Characterization of influenza A outbreaks in Minnesota swine herds and measures taken to reduce risk of zoonotic transmission. Zoonosis Pub Health 2012;59:96-106.
- Yendell SJ, Rubinoff I, Lauer D, Bender JB, Scheftel J. Prevalence of low-pathogenic avian influenza and evaluation of management practices in Minnesota backyard poultry flocks. Zoonosis Pub Health 2012;59:139-143.
- Donahue JG, Coleman LA, McGraw PJ, Irving SA, Bender JB, Lauer DC, Belongia EA. Prevalence of avian influenza and biosecurity practices in backyard poultry flocks Zoonosis Pub Health 2011;11:1293-7, epub 5/25/2011.
- Beaudoin A, Gramer M, Gray G, Capuano A, Setterquist S, Bender J. Serologic survey for swine workers for exposure to H2N3 swine influenza A. J of Influenza and other Respiratory Viruses 2010;4:163-170.
Animal Contact Venues
- Steinmuller N, Demma L, Bender JB, Eidson M, Angulo FJ. Outbreaks of enteric disease associated with animal contact: Not just a foodborne problem anymore. Clin Infect Dis, 2006;43:1596-1602.
- Smith KE, Stenzel SA, Bender JB, Wagstrom E, Soderlund D, Leano FT, Taylor CM, Danila R. Public Health Implications of Outbreaks at a Farm Day Camp. Ped Inf Dis J 2004;23:1098-104.
- Bender JB, Shulman SA. “Animals in Public Contact” subcommittee, National Association of State and Public Health Veterinarians. Reports of zoonotic disease outbreaks associated with animal exhibits and availability of recommendations for preventing zoonotic disease transmission form animals to people in such settings. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2004; 224:1105-1109.
- Co-chair - Compendium of Measures to Prevent Disease Associated with Animals in Public Settings, 2007. Morb Mort Week Rep. 2007;56: No. RR-5.
Miscellaneous Zoonotic or Emerging Infectious Diseases
- Grannick J, Armstrong J, Bender J. Anaplasma phagocytophilum infection in dogs: A retrospective study of 34 dogs (2000-2007). Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2009;234:1559-1565.
- Hennessey, M., Scheftel, J., Bender, J. 2009. Zoonotic Disease Risks for Wildlife Rehabilitation Workers. Topics in Wildlife Medicine: Infectious Diseases. National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association. 3:41-47.
- Bender JB, Minicucci L. Diseases Pets and People Share. Minnesota Medicine, 2007;90:43-47.
- Bender JB, Hueston W, Osterholm MT. Recent animal disease outbreaks and their impact on human populations. J of Agromedicine, 2006;11:5-15.
- Liesener A, Smith K, Davis R, Bender J, Danila R, Neitzel D, Forsman S, Nordquist G, Scheftel J. Circumstances of Bat Encounters and Knowledge of Rabies among Minnesota Residents Submitting Bats for Rabies Testing. J Vector and Zoonotic Diseases 2006;6:208-215.
- Wünschmann A, Shivers J, Bender J, Carroll L, Fuller S, Saggese M, van Wettere A, Redig P. Pathological and immunohistochemical findings in goshawks (Accipiter gentilis) and great horned owls (Bubo virginianus) naturally infected with West Nile virus. Avian Diseases 2005;49:252-259.
- Wünschmann A, Shivers J, Carroll L, Bender JB. Pathological and immunohistochemical findings in American crows (Corvus brachyrhynchos) naturally infected with West Nile virus. J Vet Diag Invest 2004;16:329-333.
- Bender J, Tsukayama DT. Horses and the risk of zoonotic infections. Veterinary Clinics of North America, Equine 2004;20:643-653.
- Sellman J, Bender J. Zoonotic Infections in Travelers to the Tropics. Primary Care 2002; 29: 907-29.
- Seys S, Bender J. The Changing Epidemiology of Malaria in Minnesota. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2001;7:993-5.
- Fitzpatrick AM, Bender JB. A survey of chief livestock officials in each state regarding bioterrorism preparedness. JAVMA 2000:217; 1315-1317.
For a more complete listing, see: PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health and Google Scholar.