B.S. with Honors, University of Michigan 1987
D.V.M. The Ohio State University 1993
Ph.D. The Ohio State University 1998
- Diplomate American College of Veterinary Pathologists (Clinical Pathology)
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology
- European Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology
My research interests include assessing risk factors for the development of long-term cardiovascular complications to cancer chemotherapy, with an emphasis on modeling the effects of gender and genetic background. I am also interested cancer biology, with an emphasis on the role of the tumor microenvironment and tumor interactions with normal tissues in the progression of disease. I am interested in a comparative medicine approach utilizing spontaneous and genetic models when possible.
My main clinical interests are improving the diagnostic accuracy of cytology and optimization of the use of clinical chemistry testing as a diagnostic tool.
I teach cardiovascular pathology and clinical pathology in the veterinary curriculum. My goals are to encourage critical thinking in the diagnostic evaluation of clinical pathology data using a case-based approach. In addition, I try to foster critical thinking in the evaluation of new diagnostic tests and methods.
- Berzina I, Sharkey LC. Trumble N, Novicki TJ. Conjunctival mycetoma in a horse. Vet Clin Pathol. 2011;40:84-88.
- Sharkey LC, Simpson RM, Craig LE, Birkebak TA, Kock ND, Miller MA, Wellman ML, Munson L for the ACVP Training Program Development Task Force. The value of biomedical research training for veterinary anatomic and clinical pathologists. In press Vet Pathol. Published online 4 October 2011, DOI 10. 1177/0300985811420583.
- Michael HT, Sharkey LC, Kovi RC, Manivel C, Wunschmann A, Hart T. Renal mass in a 16 week old Whippet. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. In press.
- Tinkler SH, Firshman AM, Sharkey LC. Premature parturition, edema, and ascities in an alpaca with Anaplasma phagocytophilum infection. Can Vet J. In press.
- Bahr K, Sharkey LC, Murakami T, Feeney D. Accuracy of ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration of focal liver lesions in dogs: 140 cases (2005-2008). Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association. In press.
- Sharkey LC, Heller L, Tobias A, Wang Q, Matise I, Apple F, McCune SA. The effect of genetic predisposition to cardiovascular disease on multisystemic doxorubicin toxicity in SHHF, SHR, and WKY rats. Additional experiments completed per editorial review after submission to the Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, data analysis in process.
- Feeney DA, Sharkey LC, Steward SM, Bahr KL, Henson MS, Ito D, O’Brien TD, Jessen CR, Husbands BD, Borgatti A, Modiano J. Applicability of the dog model for 3T body MRI in hematopoietic neoplasia. Submitted.
- Kelley, J, Sharkey LC, Christopherson P, Rendahl A. Platelet count and plateletcrit in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Greyhounds using the Advia 120/2120.In preparation for Vet Clin Pathol
- Sharkey LC, Michael H, LeBeau B, Center B, Wingert D. Outcome assessment of case-based writing exercises in a veterinary clinical pathology course. In preparation for JVME
- Cordner AP, Sharkey LC, Armstrong PJ, Dyne K. Characterization of canine pancreatic cytology and comparison of diagnostic yield among cytologic sampling techniques in ill and healthy dogs. In preparation.
- Hui SK, Sharkey LC, Kidder LS, Zhang Y, Xian C, Yee D. The influence of therapeutic radiation on the patterns of bone marrow in ovary-intact and ovariectomized mice. In preparation
For a complete listing of publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.
"Impact of Case-based Writing Assignments and Instructor Feedback on Course Outcomes in Veterinary Clinical pathology" Principal investigator, University of Minnesota Center for Writing 2004-2005, $3500
“Doxorubicin cardiotoxicity: effect of sex and genetic cardiovascular disease” Principle investigator, Graduate School Grant-In-Aid, January 2005-March 2007, $32,000
“The effect of renal failure on serum troponin I levels in dogs” CVM Small animal companion grant Co-PI with Inese Berzina, $8,000
“Determination of breed-specific reference intervals for assessing thyroid function in Golden Retrievers, Samoyeds, and Keeshonden, English Setters, Malamutes and Siberian Huskies” AKC Canine Health Foundation, Collaborator, $88,176
“Determination of breed-specific reference intervals for assessing thyroid function in American collies” Collie Health Foundation Co-investigator, $13,700
“Whole-body MRI bone marrow staging of canine lymphoma: a potential animal model” University of Minnesota Academic Health Center Seed grant, Co-investigator, $25,000
“Multispecies hematology analyzer validation (contract) PI, 2010. Siemens Corporation, $53,000.
“Genetic Background and the Angiogenic Phenotype in Cancer” AKC Canine Health Foundation, Grant #1131, Co-investigator, 01/01/10 – 12/30/12, Direct Costs $235,399
Indirect Costs: 8%
“ASVCP member-access case bank” American Society for Veterinary clinical Pathology. Primary Investigator, 6/1/2010-5/30/2012. Direct costs: $2,820
“Tumor-environment interactions in canine hemangiosarcoma.” National Canine Cancer Foundation. Primary Investigator. 8/10/10-7/31/11. Direct: $25, 430, Indirect costs: 11.1%.
Honors and Awards
|1995 ||Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society |
|1996 ||Phi Zeta, The Honor Society of Veterinary Medicine |
|2001 ||Basic Science Professor of the Year, Tufts Veterinary School (Teaching award) |
|2002 ||Basic Science Professor of the Year, Tufts Veterinary School (Teaching award) |
|2003 ||Basic Science Professor of the Year, Tufts Veterinary School (Teaching award) |
|2003 ||Nominated by V'O4 for SAVMA Teaching Excellence Award in Clinical Sciences |
|2004 ||Recognized for Excellence in Women's Health Research Pregnancy and progesterone exacerbate hypertension in spontaneous hypertension/heart failure rats. Women's Health Research Conference, Minneapolis, MN |
|2006 ||Carl Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teacher Award |
|2008 ||Veterinary Clinical Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Minneosta |
|2008 ||Excellence in Course Coordination Award, University of Minnesota, College of Veterinary Medicine for Veterinary Clinical Pathology course. |
|2010 ||Veterinary Clinical Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Minnesota |
|2010 ||Inductee Academic Health center Academy for Excellence in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning |
|2011 ||Carl Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teacher Award |