GIFSL Endowed Chair
Global Initiative for Food Systems Leadership: www.foodsystemsleadership.org
School of Public Health: www.sph.umn.edu
College of Veterinary Medicine: www.cvm.umn.edu
B.A. University of Virginia, 1976
D.V.M. The Ohio State University, 1980
M.S. The Ohio State University, 1980
Ph.D. The Ohio State University, 1985
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, 1985
Epidemiology Specialty, American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, 1987
- Leadership training
- Strengthening food supply systems globally
- Epidemiology of zoonoses (diseases affecting both humans and other animals)
- Risk analysis (hazard identification, risk assessment, risk management, risk communication)
- Animal health monitoring and disease surveillance
- Animal and public health policy formulation at the local, state, national, and international levels
- Global Food Systems Leadership
- Food safety
- Risk communication including media relations
- Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies
For a listing of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, and Google Scholar.
Honors and Awards
- Certificate of Appreciation, University of Minnesota Foundation, 2008.
- Certificate of Appreciation, Association of American Veterinary Colleges (AAVMC), 2008.
- Community Partner Award, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 2006.
- Gold-head Cane Award, The American Veterinary Epidemiology Society, 2005.
- Charles N. Hewitt Creative Teaching Award, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, 2005.
- American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, Distinguished Diplomate Award, 2004.
- 2003 Distinguished Alumni, The Ohio State University, 2003.
- Special Recognition Award (CWD), Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, 2003.
- Service Award, Minnesota Veterinary Medical Association, 2002.
- Team Service Award (CWD), Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, 2002.
- Service Award, Maryland Veterinary Medical Association, 2001.
- Distinguished Service Award, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, 2001.
- 2000 Distinguished Veterinarian: For standards of excellence and dedicated service to the profession of veterinary medicine, Virginia Veterinary Medical Association, 2000.
- Regional Distinguished Team Award for "Science on the Cutting Edge", National Honorary Extension Fraternity, 1999.
- Certificate of Appreciation, US Food and Drug Administration, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, 1999.
- Honorary Diplomate, The American Veterinary Epidemiology Society, 1998.
- National Academy of Practice, Distinguished Practitioner in Veterinary Medicine, 1997.
- Certificate of Appreciation for contributions toward maintaining access of U.S. poultry in the Russian market and creating a more cooperative relationship with the Russian poultry industry, presented by Secretary of Agriculture, Dan Glickman, March, 1997.
- Outstanding Performance Cash Awards, USDA:APHIS, Veterinary Services, 1991, 1994, and 1995.
- Certificate of Appreciation, USDA:FSIS, Animal Production Food Safety, 1995.
- Mayor's Award for improving the quality of life for persons with disabilities, Group Award to Multiple Sclerosis peer counselors, 1993.
- Dr. Daniel E. Salmon Award for exemplary achievement in Federal Veterinary Medicine, USDA, and Cash Award from the National Association of Federal Veterinarians, 1992.
- President's Award, American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, 1991.
- Who's Who in Veterinary Science and Medicine, 1991-1992 Edition.
- Certificate of Appreciation, American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, 1990.
- Meritorious Service Award, Ohio Veterinary Medical Association, 1985.
- Phi Zeta, Veterinary Honor Society, 1979.
- Phi Beta Kappa, National Honor Society, 1976