Key components of this proposed approach to dairy drug use include:
- The veterinarian visits a herd every 6 months and completes a minimum database of information pertaining to on-farm practices.
- VCPR forms are available to aid in collection of information.
- VCPR forms can be used to validate the presence of a valid Veterinary-Client-Patient-Relationship with a specific farm.
- A veterinarian develops specific protocols for drug use in the evaluated areas. Protocols are specific to each dairy. Computer software will be available to aid in writing protocols for each dairy.
- The veterinarian writes applicable prescriptions based on the written protocols. Prescriptions will be valid for 6 months and amount will be specific to each dairys size and protocol use.
- Prescribing practice dispenses drug or authorizes another firm to dispense drug.
- Amounts of drugs dispensed or authorized for dispensing under the prescription are tracked.