Care and Management of Captive Raptors Workshop
The dates for the 2015 workshop are October 6-9, 2015.
This four-day intensive workshop will orient both the novice and expert bird manager to the finer points of caring for and maintaining captive raptors for educational purposes.
- Hands-on learning with our expert staff in our internationally renowned clinic
- Work with live education raptors and the staff of our education department
- Meet clinic veterinarians, including Dr. Julia Ponder and Dr. Patrick Redig
- Work with Lori Arent, author of Raptors in Captivity
This is a 3 1/2 day intensive workshop. Lunch is included each day. Please note special dietary restrictions when registering.
You can download a pdf of the brochure here.
(subject to change)
Tuesday, October 6, 2015
- Enhance your organization's message through live education animals
- The law: the necessary permits
- Introduction to opperant conditioning
- Should I accept this bird or not? Considerations when selecting a rehabilitated bird for education
Wednesday, October 7, 2015
- Advanced raptor anatomy and physiology (hands-on)
- Basic raptor medical care (hands-on)
- Emergency raptor medical care (hands-on)
- Rats and fish and quail, oh my: raptor diet selection, storage, and preparation
- Behavioral training techniques for education birds
Thursday, October 8, 2015
- Education raptor handling 101 perching, crating, and transportation (hands-on)
- Basic exam procedures: restraining raptors, weight assessment and checking foot condition(clinic hands-on)
- Education raptor housing: a review of specific considerations in design
- Managing raptor health and well-being: coping/trimming/physical checks for education birds(hands-on)
Friday, October 9, 2015
- Emergency care skills: basic bandaging, hemostasis, and administering fluids (clinic hands-on)
- Raptor handling: techniques for handling education raptors in programs, bird escapes, and more
- Training demonstrations for education raptors
Early registration (before September 7, 2015): $795
Late registration (on or after September 7, 2015): $895
Lunch for all four days is included in the registration fee. Please note in detail any dietary restrictions.
The conference hotel is the Ramada Plaza Minneapolis, 1330 Industrial Blvd, Minneapolis, MN 55413. Rates are $92 for King or Standard Double, plus applicable taxes. This includes breakfast for up to two people per room. Please call 612-331-1900 or 877-774-4315 to make your reservations no later than September 21, 2015, and ask for the Raptor workshop. There is a shuttle service to/from The Raptor Center.
Phone: 612.624.3434 or 1.800.380.8636
The College of Veterinary Medicine reserves the right to cancel programs due to insufficient enrollment prior to the start of a program. In case of cancellation due to insufficient enrollment, registration fees will be refunded in full. Cancellation by registered individuals for any Continuing Education programs will be processed by the following policy: Participants whose cancellations are received in writing to VetMedCE@umn.edu up to 10 days prior to the program will be refunded 80% of the program fee. No refunds will be made less than 10 days prior to the program but in lieu of your attendance you will still receive the conference materials that were made available to all other attendees.
For more information about the workshop, contact Gail Buhl at 612-624-3261 or email@example.com.