Full Application Instructions
1. Cover pages. Must answer questions related to IACUC/IRB assurances.
2. Proposal narrative (not to exceed 6 pages)
- Specific Aims: 1 Page
- Research Strategy: (Includes Background & Significance, Innovation, Research Design & Methods, & Preliminary Studies/Progress, and Plan for Future External Funding, Timeline) – 6 Pages
- Background and Significance: Does the project address an important problem or a critical barrier to progress in the field? If the aims of the project are achieved, how will scientific knowledge, technical capability, and/or clinical practice be improved? How will successful completion of the aims change the concepts, methods, technologies, treatments, services, or preventative interventions that drive this field?
- Innovation: Does the application challenge and seek to shift current research or clinical practice paradigms by utilizing novel theoretical concepts, approaches or methodologies, instrumentation, or interventions? Are the concepts, approaches or methodologies, instrumentation, or interventions novel to one field of research or novel in a broad sense? Is a refinement, improvement, or new application of theoretical concepts, approaches or methodologies, instrumentation, or interventions proposed?
- Research Design and Methods: Are the overall strategy, methodology, and analyses well-reasoned and appropriate to accomplish the specific aims of the project? Are potential problems, alternative strategies, and benchmarks for success presented? If the project is in the early stages of development, will the strategy establish feasibility and will particularly risky aspects be managed?
3. Timeline: 1 Page (not included in the 6-page limit)
4. References: No page limit.
5. Detailed budget with categorical budget justification with itemization details. (Note: International travel will not be funded on EZD grants). Budget justification must include all paid and unpaid personnel with one paragraph description of specific role/contribution to project.
6. Biosketch of key participants (not to exceed 2 pages per participant) – NIH format
7. Outcomes from previously received CVM funding form (see cover pages)
1. Margins: 1 inch: top, bottom, left and right.
2. Font: 11 points Arial, Palatino Linotype, Helvetica, or Georgia typeface black font
3. Single spaced
All proposals will be evaluated by a review committee assembled by the EZD steering committee. Proposals within each category will be ranked for scientific merit separately. The review panel will evaluate proposals for scientific merit and make recommendations for funding decisions to the CVM Associate Dean for Research.
Criteria for Evaluation
1. Identification of a clear plan for external federal funding
2. Must address key issues in Emerging and Zoonotic Diseases area of focus and be well justified.
3. Approach must be feasible.
4. Preference will be given to projects with the potential for high impact and a high likelihood of leading to external funding.
Application Deadline for Invited Full Proposals: March 30, 2013
Tentative Award Date: May 15, 2013
If you have any questions please contact the Research Office staff at 612‐624‐2744 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org