VMED MS Course Requirements
Formal coursework for the MS degree varies according to the field of study, interests, and career goals of the individual student. Courses may be taken in disciplines other than veterinary medicine. Students wishing to enroll in a 4000-level course need to consult with their advisor and the director of graduate studies prior to registration if they want to use the course in their degree program. Such courses may be appropriate to supplement any deficiencies in a student’s academic background provided the following guidelines are met:
- A maximum of six 4000-level course credits may be used to satisfy the master’s course requirement.
- At least 60 percent of the coursework on the official graduate degree plan must be completed as a registered University of Minnesota graduate student.
- A maximum of eight graduate course credits may be counted in common between two University degree programs.
- Approved transfer coursework may make up the remaining 40 percent of degree credits and can include a maximum of 12 graduate credits taken as a non-degree seeking or non-admitted student.
- Transfer of thesis credits is not allowed.
- At least two-thirds of course credits must be taken with grades A-F.
VMED 8134 Ethical Conduct of Animal Research
VMED 8550 Veterinary Medicine Seminar (2 credits)
At least one additional 8000-level course in major field
At least one course in statistics or biostatistics (two are recommended)
Recommended courses to fulfill biostatistics requirement Credits
PUBH 6414 Biostatistical Methods I 3
PUBH 6415 Biostatistical Methods II 3
PUBH 6450 Biostatistics I 4
PUBH 6451 Biostatistics II 4
Stat 5021 Statistical Analysis 4
Stat 5031 Statistical Methods for Quality Improvement 4
Stat 5302 Applied Regression Analysis 4
Stat 5303 Designing Experiments 4
Stat 5421 Analysis of Categorical Data 3
Statistics courses other than those recommended can be used to fulfill this requirement with the approval of the student’s advisor, thesis committee, and the Program Advisory Committee.