VMED PhD courses

Formal coursework for the PhD degree varies according to the field of study, interests, and career goals of individual students. Courses may be taken in disciplines other than veterinary medicine. Students wishing to enroll in a 4000-level course need to consult with their advisor and the director of graduate studies prior to registration to use the course in their degree program. Such courses may be appropriate to supplement any deficiencies in the student’s academic background provided:

  • A maximum of nine 4000-level course credits may be used to satisfy the doctoral course requirements.
  • At least 60 percent of the coursework on the official graduate degree plan must be completed as a registered University of Minnesota graduate student. Approved transfer coursework may make up the remaining 40 percent of degree credits and can include a maximum of 12 graduate credits taken as a non-degree seeking or non-admitted student.
  • Transfer of thesis credits is not allowed.
  • At least two-thirds of course credits must be taken with grades A-F.

 

Required courses:

VMED 8134 Ethical Conduct of Animal Research
VMED 8550 Veterinary Medicine Seminar (2 credits)
At least three additional 8000-level courses in major field
At least one course in Biostatistics (two are recommended)

Recommended courses to fulfill biostatistics requirement Credits
PUBH 6414 Biostatistical Methods I 3
PUBH 6415 Biostatistical Methods II 3
PUBH 6450 Biostatistics I 4
PUBH 6451 Biostatistics II 4
Stat 5021 Statistical Analysis 4
Stat 5031 Statistical Methods for Quality Improvement 4
Stat 5302 Applied Regression Analysis 4
Stat 5303 Designing Experiments 4
Stat 5421 Analysis of Categorical Data 3

Statistics courses other than those recommended can be used to fulfill these elective requirements with the approval of the student’s advisor, the thesis committee, and the program advisory committee.

  • ©2014 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
  • The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer
  • Last modified on November 19, 2013