VMED PhD timeline
The following timeline is recommended for all Ph.D. students in the VMED program. Completion of requirements as described will ensure that each student will progress through the program in an efficient and timely manner.
- Required courses are:
- Statistics course
- VMED 8134 Ethical Conduct of Animal Research
- VMED 8550 Veterinary Medicine Seminar (2 credits)
- Three additional 8000-level major or supporting courses
- Submit Graduate Degree Plan by end of Year One.
- Identify thesis committee members and submit form for approval at end of Year One.
- Continue coursework.
- Schedule first committee meeting during fall semester to discuss thesis proposal and submit committee meeting report form.
- Submit thesis proposal to committee for review.
- Meet with committee to present thesis proposal and obtain committee members' signatures on form (written preliminary exam).
- Schedule and complete preliminary oral exam before end of summer.
- Complete any remaining coursework.
- Submit online the final oral exam committee members.
- Schedule annual committee meeting and submit committee meeting report form.
- Complete thesis research, write and defend dissertation.
- Schedule and complete annual committee meeting and submit committee meeting report form.
- Request graduation packet from Graduate Student Services and Progress (GSSP).
- Submit Application for degree to Onestop.
- Provide draft of thesis to committee (allow at least three weeks for review) and obtain signatures on thesis reviewers’ report form.
- Provide graduate program coordinator with thesis title, date, time and location of thesis defense (two weeks prior to defense).
- Complete final oral defense/examination online scheduling form and submit thesis reviewers’ form to GSSP (at least one week prior to defense).
- Submit final oral examination report form to GSSP.