VetLEAD: Veterinary Leadership through Early Admission for Diversity
The profession of veterinary medicine provides countless opportunities to graduates. The University of Minnesota's Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program prepares students to enter many exciting and rewarding career paths. Veterinarians care for companion animals, work with producers to support food-animal production, protect our food supply and the public health, and serve an integral role in biomedical research. While the veterinary profession has much to offer, students of color are still underrepresented.
To meet the increasing demand for veterinarians and to promote diversity within the veterinary student body, the University of Minnesota has introduced the Veterinary Leadership through Early Admissions for Diversity (VetLEAD) program. VetLEAD creates a pathway into veterinary school for high-ability students at partner institutions. VetLEAD allows you to:
- Receive a provisional admissions decision from the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine at the end of your sophomore year of undergraduate study
- Waive the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) requirement when applying to the College of Veterinary Medicine
- Complete your undergraduate pre-veterinary coursework at your home institution
- Participate in summer independent study, research, and internship opportunities
- Benefit from a mentorship with veterinary faculty and advanced students while finishing your undergraduate coursework
- Obtain scholarships
- Work with world-class veterinary faculty members and veterinary medical industry leaders
Who is Eligible for VetLEAD?
Any high-achieving, sophomore student enrolled in a College of Agriculture and Food Science program at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University with a strong interest in veterinary medicine may apply.
Applying to VetLEAD
Applying to VetLEAD consists of three easy steps. Applications are accepted once a year during spring semester. To learn more about the application process, click here.
Completing the VetLEAD program
To complete VetLEAD and gain admission to the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program at the end of the fourth undergraduate year, students must:
- Visit the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine campus
- Complete all pre-veterinary coursework with a FAMU cumulative GPA of at least 3.40
- Participate in a summer independent study, research, or internship opportunity
Students not meeting the criteria by the end of their graduation date from FAMU will lose program eligibility. Ineligible students may apply to the D.V.M. program through the traditional admission process at a later date with no penalty.
Find out more about the VetLEAD program and Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University undergraduate programs by contacting us.
University of Minnesota
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University