Diagnostic Sample Submissions
Sample Submission Steps
- Submit serum samples to a laboratory to measure serum muscle enzymes CK and AST; elevated values are consistent with disease; ideally, the CK and AST will be titrated to a specific end value.
- Submit serum, plasma, and/or urine kept chilled or frozen overnight for acylcarnitine and urine organic acid concentrations as well as toxin metabolite concentrations.
- Samples may be submitted directly to the Baylor Metabolic Institute WEBSITE: www.baylorhealth.edu/imdif or indirectly via the University of Minnesota Neuromuscular Laboratory.
- If your horse meets the moderate to high risk category in our risk assessment survey, we will cover the cost of these analyses if you pay the shipping fee to send samples. In this case, we will provide special forms for Baylor Metabolic Institute with a billing code which must be written in the payment information section. Email us at email@example.com to inform us of this case and to obtain the appropriate forms; this is required in order to avoid being charged.
- Send fresh (not formalin fixed) postural and respiratory muscles for lipid staining (Oil red O) to the University of Minnesota Neuromuscular Diagnostic Laboratory (click here for directions on obtaining a muscle biopsy).
- We will cover the cost of muscle biopsy analyses if the case fits our risk criteria. Please use the billing code provided in our email response to the risk survey in the billing section of forms found at http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/equineneuromuscular/home.html.
- Results will be emailed to you within 7-10 days.