Neuromuscular Diagnostic Laboratory
Dedicated to providing the most accurate diagnosis and optimal treatment of muscle disorders in horses.
Click here for a link to the KER website with interviews of Dr. Valberg on tying up and here for an interview on the genetic basis of tying up diseases.
The University of Minnesota Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory performs genetic testing for PSSM type 1 and malignant hyperthermia (MH) on hair or purple toped EDTA tubes. Please click here for information on genetic testing. http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/equineneuromuscular/home.html
Click here for an article on considerations for genetic testing previously published in Modern Equine Vet. www.modernequinevet.com
Muscle Biopsy Testing
The Neuromuscular Diagnostic Laboratory offers a specialized muscle biopsy diagnostic service for horses. Samples are processed through the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory. For forms and shipping information click here Biopsy Submission.
Information on this site is intended for information purposes for veterinarians to guide in the diagnostic work up of muscle diseases. Owner-diagnosis and owner-treatment of horses is not recommended, and may indeed be dangerous. Owners must consult their veterinarian before implementing any of the treatment recommendation described.
- Results are available by fax or email within 7-10 days.
- For forms, invoices and information regarding selection of a muscle for biopsy and shipment information please click on this link; Biopsy Submission.
- Samples submitted to our laboratory are usually fresh samples that are frozen upon arrival at our laboratory using specialized techniques.
- Please schedule muscle biopsies from Monday to Wednesday so that when fresh specimens are shipped by priority overnight they arrive before the weekend
- If absolutely necessary, biopsy samples taken Friday-Sunday can be divided with half placed in formalin and half placed in a refrigerator until shipped on Monday on icepacks. This will considerably decrease the quality of the sample.
- We do accept unstained paraffin embedded formalin fixed slides for evaluation.
- To submit samples from outside the US please contact us 1 800 605 8787 for appropriate forms.
- Sample will be evaluated as frozen sections for muscle fiber sizes, shapes, storage products such as lipids and glycogen and potentially metabolic and contractile properties. These techniques will screen for Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy, Glycogen Branching Enzyme Deficiency, Recurrent Exertional Rhabdomyolysis, Equine Motor Neuron Disease, neurogenic atrophy, Immune-mediated myopathy, Pasture Myopathy, and many other diseases.
|Samples submitted to our laboratory are frozen using specialized methods and evaluated with a variety of stains. Evaluation of frozen sections provides the best information regarding muscle fiber sizes, shapes, metabolic and contractile properties as well as storage properties such as lipids and glycogen. Please call 1 800 605 8787 to obtain appropriate forms submission from outside of the US. Results are usually faxed or emailed within 7 – 10 days. || |