B.S., Boston University 1999
D.V.M. Tufts University 2003
Ph.D. Colorado State University 2010
Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists (Clinical Pathology)
American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology
Veterinary Cancer Society
Oncology-Pathology Working Group
My research globally focuses on comparative and experimental pathology. Primarily, our laboratory studies the pathogenic mechanisms of infectious prion diseases using the cervid-origin prion disease Chronic Wasting Disease as a model. Chiefly, we seek to understand: 1) the mechanisms by which a mis-folded protein becomes infectious, 2) the pathways linking the accumulation of mis-folded protein with neurodegeneration, and 3) the systemic metabolic consequences of protein-misfolding disease. In addition, we are interested in advancing and refining the approach to the diagnosis and classification of canine lymphoproliferative disease.
My primary clinical interests are expanding the toolset available to diagnostic veterinary cytopathologists and improving the ability to diagnose hematopoietic neoplasia.
My primary teaching activity takes place in the core, second-year DVM clinical pathology course, where I lecture on hematopoietic neoplasia.
1. Sharkey LC, Seelig DM, Overmann J. All lesions great and small, part 1: Diagnostic cytology in veterinary medicine. Diagn Cytopathol. 2014 Feb 19.
2. Sharkey LC, Seelig DM, Overmann J. All lesions great and small, part 2. Diagnostic cytology in veterinary medicine. Diagn Cytopathol. 2014 Feb 19.
3. Avery PR, Burton J, Bromberek JL, Seelig DM, Elmslie R, Correa S, Ehrhart EJ, Morley PS, Avery AC. Flow Cytometric Characterization and Clinical Outcome of CD4+ T-Cell Lymphoma in Dogs: 67 Cases. J Vet Intern Med. 2014 Feb 3.
4. Haley NJ, Van de Motter A, Carver S, Henderson D, Davenport K, Seelig DM, Mathiason C, Hoover E. Prion-seeding activity in cerebrospinal fluid of deer with chronic wasting disease. PLoS One. 2013 Nov 25;8(11):e81488.
5. Nalls AV, McNulty E, Powers J, Seelig DM, Hoover C, Haley NJ, Hayes-Klug J, Anderson K, Stewart P, Goldmann W, Hoover EA, Mathiason CK. Mother to offspring transmission of chronic wasting disease in reeves' muntjac deer. PLoS One. 2013 Aug 14;8(8):e71844.
6. Mathiason CK, Nalls AV, Seelig DM, Kraft SL, Carnes K, Anderson KR, Hayes-Klug J, Hoover EA. Susceptibility of domestic cats to chronic wasting disease. J Virol. 2013 Feb;87(4):1947-56.
7. Denkers ND, Hayes-Klug J, Anderson KR, Seelig DM, Haley NJ, Dahmes SJ, Osborn DA, Miller KV, Warren RJ, Mathiason CK, Hoover EA. Aerosol transmission of chronic wasting disease in white-tailed deer. J Virol. 2013 Feb;87(3):1890-2.
8. Bessen RA, Robinson CJ, Seelig DM, Watschke CP, Lowe D, Shearin H, Martinka S, Babcock AM. Transmission of chronic wasting disease identifies a prion strain causing cachexia and heart infection in hamsters. PLoS One. 2011;6(12):e28026.
9. Seelig DM, Perry JA, Zaks K, Avery AC, Avery PR. Monoclonal immunoglobulin protein production in two dogs with secretory B-cell lymphoma with mott cell differentiation. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2011 Dec 1;239(11):1477-82.
10. Seelig DM, Mason GL, Telling GC, Hoover EA. Chronic wasting disease prion trafficking via the autonomic nervous system. Am J Pathol. 2011 Sep;179(3):1319-28.
11. Seelig DM, Perry JA, Avery AC, Avery PR. Monoclonal gammopathy without hyperglobulinemia in 2 dogs with IgA secretory neoplasms. Vet Clin Pathol. 2010 Dec;39(4):447-53.
12. Seelig DM,Mason GL, Telling GC, Hoover EA. Pathogenesis of chronic wasting disease in cervidized transgenic mice. Am J Pathol. 2010 Jun;176(6):2785-97.
13. Seelig DM, Whittemore JC, Lappin MR, Myers AM, Avery PR. Goitrous hypothyroidism associated with treatment with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole in a young dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2008 Apr 15;232(8):1181-5.
14. Mathiason CK, Powers JG, Dahmes SJ, Osborn DA, Miller KV, Warren RJ, Mason GL, Hays SA, Hayes-Klug J, Seelig DM, Wild MA, Wolfe LL, Spraker TR, Miller MW, Sigurdson CJ, Telling GC, Hoover EA. Infectious prions in the saliva and blood of deer with chronic wasting disease. Science. 2006 Oct 6;314(5796):133-6.
For a complete listing of publications, refer to PubMed
, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.
1. “PathogenesisofChronicWastingDisease inTransgenicMice” NIH- 1K01RR031488-01, Principal Investigator, 06/01/10-05/31/15
2. “CWD Pathogenesisin aMouse Model ofNatural Infection” UniversityofMinnesota, College ofVeterinaryMedicine-Emerging InfectiousDiseases, Principal Investigator, 10/01/2013–9/30/2015
3. “ProbingtheMechanismsofInvoluntaryWeightLoss inNeurodegenerative Disease”, UniversityofMinnesota –Grant-in-Aid Program, Principal Investigator,
Honors and Awards:
2007 Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Institutional Research Training Grant (T32) trainee
2007 First place, OutstandingPoster Presentation, Colorado StateUniversity,College of VeterinaryMedicineand Biomedical Sciences Research Day.
2004 The Dr. Virgil and Mitzy H.Yount PostgraduateVeterinaryMedicineScholarship
2005 TheC.L. DavisAwardforStudentScholarshipin Veterinary Pathology
2006 The Floyd Cross Memorial Scholarship
2006 The Dr. Virigil and Mitzy H. Yount Postgraduate Veterinary Medicine Scholarship