Assistant Clinical Professor
- DVM, Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Ames, IA
- Clinical Pathology Residency, University of Minnesota, College of Veterinary Medicine
Diplomate American College of Veterinary Pathologists (Clinical Pathology)
American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology
- Diagnostic hematology and cytology
- Immune-mediated hematologic diseases
- Myelodysplastic syndromes in companion animals
- Hematopoietic neoplasia
- Assay Validation and optimization
- Scholarship of teaching and learning
- Use of case-based assignments in veterinary curricula
- Methods of assessment
- My main teaching activities take place in the core clinical pathology course for second-year DVM students and in the 4th year clinical pathology rotation in the DVM curriculum. My primary instructional areas include hematology, coagulation, cytology, and clinical chemistry. I also teach in a variety of other DVM and undergraduate courses.
- Veterinary Clinical Pathology (CVM 6534)
- Clinical Laboratory Medicine (CVM 6532) - Course Coordinator
- Descriptive Histopathology (VMED 5330)
- Topics in Veterinary Clinical Pathology (VMED 5310)
- Basic Pathology (CVM 6298)
- Small Animal Management (VCS 4606)
- Overmann JA, Finno C, Sharkey LC. What is your Diagnosis? Elevated bicarbonate concentration in a foal. Vet Clin Pathol. 2010;39:515-516.
- Overmann JA, Sharkey LC, Weiss DJ, Borjesson DL. Performance of 2 microtiter canine Coombs’ tests. Vet Clin Pathol. 2007;36:179-183
- Sharkey L, Overmann J, Flash P. Evolution of a course in veterinary clinical pathology: The application of case-based writing assignments to focus on skill development and facilitation of learning. J Vet Med Educ. 2007;34:423-430.
For a listing of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.
Awards and Honors
Excellence in Course Coordination Award (CVM 6532 - Clinical Laboratory Medicine) Academic year 2009 - 2010
- Catherine Benson
- Jill Schappa