P. Jane Armstrong
University of Toronto, General Sciences
University of Guelph, Pre-Veterinary Studies
Ontario Veterinary College, DVM
University of Illinois, Rotating Internship
Michigan State University, Internal Medicine Residency and Master of Science
University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management, MBA
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Minnesota Veterinary Medical Association
- California Veterinary Medical Association
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
- Ontario Veterinary Association
- Comparative Gastroenterology Society
- Beta Gamma Sigma (Honor Society for Collegiate Schools of Business)
- Sigma Delta Epsilon (Graduate Women in Science)
- Patterson N, Furrow E, Lulich J, Armstrong PJ. Identification of the Genetic Determinant(s) of Calcium Oxalate Urolithiasis in Miniature Schnauzers and other high-risk breeds. (Morris Animal Foundation, $187,000), 2011-2013.
- Stiller A, Armstrong PJ, Polzin DP. Smith S. Platelet-derived Urinary Thromboxanes with Low Dose Aspirin in Canine IMHA. CVM Companion Animal Funds, $5370, 2011-2012.
- Furrow E, Patterson N, Lulich J, Armstrong PJ. Identification of the Genetic Determinant(s) of Calcium Oxalate Urolithiasis in Miniature Schnauzers and other high-risk breeds. Canine Health Foundation of the American Kennel Club OAK grant $132,219.
- Polzin DP and Armstrong PJ (Co-I), Orcutt E: Survival of dogs with IMHA treated with low-dose aspirin versus individually monitored and adjusted subcutaneous unfractionated heparin. (Morris Animal Foundation, $160,571), 2010-2013.
- Furrow E, Lulich J, Patterson N, Armstrong PJ: Heritability of calcium oxalate urolithiasis in Miniature Schnauzers. CVM Companion Animal Funds, 2009-2010.
- Furrow E, Lulich J, Patterson N, Armstrong PJ: Heritability of calcium oxalate urolithiasis in Miniature Schnauzers. 2009-2011 (Canine Health Foundation of the American Kennel Club ACORN grant $12,960).
Awards and Honors
- FW Schofield Prize in Pathology, 1978
- Toronto Humane Society Award (Proficiency in Small Animal Medicine and Surgery), 1978
- Schering National Essay Contest Award, 1978
- Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society, 1988
- Phi Zeta, 1988
- President's Forum on Teaching and Learning, selected participant 1993
- Bush Faculty Development Program for Excellence and Diversity in Teaching, selected participant 1993-1994
- SmithKline Beecham Excellence in Research, 1995
- Merck AgVet Award for Creativity in Teaching, 1995 (co-recipient with Dr. M. Trent)
- Recipient of College of Veterinary Medicine Teaching Incentive Award (for exceptional efforts in development of the new CVM curriculum), 1997, 1998
- Presentation in appreciation of contributions in support of the Workshop in Pet Food Regulations, 1998 (Missouri Dept. of Agriculture, Association of American Feed Control Officials, University of Missouri-Columbia, and Ralston Purina Company)
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society for Collegiate Schools of Business, 1999
- Member, CENSHARE Advisory Board, 1999-2001
- Member, External Review Team, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Iowa State University, 2001
- Profiled in Veterinary Medicine, February 2006, Veterinary Leaders series.
- Invited member, WSAVA Liver Standardization Group, 2008-present
- Schafgans KE, Armstrong PJ, Kramek K, Ober CP. Bilateral choanal atresia in a cat. J Fel Med Surg. Accepted 2012.
- Tan HY, John M Morton JM, Fleeman LM, Armstrong PJ, Coradini M, Ishioka K, Verkest KR, Richards AA, Rawlings JM, Rose FJ, Whitehead, JP. Adiponectin profiles are affected by chronic and acute changes in carbohydrate intake in healthy cats. General and Comparative Endocrinology. Accepted 2011.
- A Multi-Institutional Study Evaluating the Diagnostic Utility of the Spec cPL™ and SNAP® cPL™ in Clinical Acute Pancreatitis in 84 Dogs. McCord K, Morley P, Armstrong PJ, et al. J Vet Intern Med, Submitted 2011.
- Aptekmann KP, Armstrong PJ, Coradini M, Rand JS: Owner experiences in treating dogs and cats diagnosed with diabetes mellitus. J Small Anim Pract. Submitted 2011.
- Henson MS, Hegstad-Davies RL, Wang Q, Hardy RM, Armstrong PJ, Jordan K, Johnson KH, O’Brien TD. Fasting serum islet amyloid polypeptide and insulin concentrations in ketoacidotic and non-ketoacidotic cats and non-diabetic cats classified by body condition score. Am J Vet Res. Accepted 2010.
- Bjørnvad CR, Nielsen DH, Armstrong PJ, McEvoy F, Hoelmkjaer KM, Jensen KS, Pedersen GT, Kristensen AT. Evaluation of a 9-point body condition scoring system in physically inactive pet cats. Am J Vet Res. 72(4):433-7, 2011.
- Cordner AP, Armstrong PJ, Newman SJ, Novo R, Sharkey LC, Jessen C: Effect of pancreatic tissue sampling on serum pancreatic enzyme levels in clinically healthy dogs. J Vet Diagn Invest 22(5):702-7, 2010.
- Sotirakopoulos AJ, Armstrong PJ, Heath L, Madrill NJ, McNiel EA: Evaluation of microsatellite instability in urine for the diagnosis of transitional cell carcinoma of the lower urinary tract in dogs. J Vet Intern Med 24(6):1445-51, 2010.
- Helmond SE, Polzin DJ, Armstrong PJ, Finke M, Smith SA: Treatment of immune-mediated hemolytic anemia with individually adjusted heparin dosing in dogs. J Vet Intern Med 24(3):597-605, 2010.
- Bianco D, Armstrong PJ, Washabau RJ: A prospective, randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study of human intravenous immunoglobulin for the acute management of presumptive primary immune-mediated thrombocytopenia in dogs. J Vet Intern Med 23:1071-1078, 2009.