Assistant Clinical Professor - Oncology
B.S., University of Illinois
D.V.M., University of Illinois, 1988
Ph.D., University of Minnesota 2005
Diplomate ACVIM Oncology 2010
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Minnesota Veterinary Medical Association
- Veterinary Cancer Society
- Society for Veterinary Medical Ethics
- Naturally-occurring animal models of human diseases (e.g. lymphoma, Type II diabetes)
- Novel cancer therapies (immunotherapy, oncolytic viruses, experimental drugs)
- Cancer biology
- Internal Medicine
- Clinical oncology and internal medicine
- Professional skills
- Feeney DA, Sharkey LC, Steward SM, Bahr KL, Henson MS, Ito, D, O’Brien TD, Jessen CR, Husbands BD, Borgatti A, Modiano JF. Applicability of tissue signal intensity in 3T body MRI in hematopoietic neoplasia. Vet Radiol Ultrasound: submitted 8/11.
- Feeney DA, Sharkey LC, Steward SM, Bahr KL, Henson MS, Ito D, O’Brien TD Jessen CR, Husbands BD, Borgatti A, Modiano J: Applicability of 3T body MRI in assessment of non-focal bone marrow involvement from hematopoietic neoplasia in a spontaneous canine model. J Magnetic Resonance Imaging: submitted 7/11.
- Ito D, Endicott MM, Jubala CM, Helm KM, Burnett RC, Husbands BD, Borgatti A, Henson MS, Burgess KE, Bell JS, Kisseberth WC, Valli VE, Cutter GR, Avery AC, Hahn KA, O’Brien TD, Modiano JF: A Tumor-Related Lymphoid Progenitor Population Supports Hierarchical Tumor Organization in Canine B-Cell Lymphoma. J Vet Intern Med 25: 890-896, 2011.
- Henson MS, Hegstad-Davies R, Wang Q, Hardy RM, Armstrong PJ, Jordan K, Johnson KH, O’Brien TD: Evaluation of plasma islet amyloid polypeptide and serum glucose and insulin concentrations in nondiabetic cats classified by body condition score and in cats with naturally occurring diabetes mellitus. Amer J Vet Res 72: 1052-1058, 2011.
- Henson MS, Curtsinger JM, Larson VS, Klausner JS, Modiano JF, Mescher MF, Miller JS: Immunotherapy with autologous tumor antigen-coated microbeads (large multivalent immunogen), IL-2 and GM-CSF is safe and biologically active in dogs with spontaneous B-cell lymphoma. Vet Comp Oncol 9(2): 95-105, 2011 (first published online 8/16/10).
- COTC016: A Pilot Study to Assess Feasibility of Tissue Collections and Molecular Profiling for Future Comparative Oncology Personalized Medicine Studies. Translational Genomics Research Institute/ NIH National Cancer Institute. Responsibility: principle investigator UM subcontract, 2011, $10,050.
- Novel therapeutic agent for treatment of solid tumors in dogs. Animal Clinical Investigation. Responsibility: principle investigator UM subcontract, 2011, $71,000.
- A feasibility study of adjuvant-enhanced percutaneous microwave ablation of solid tumors in dogs and cats. Academic Health Center Seed Grant. Responsibility: co-investigator, 2011, $25,000.
Honors and Awards
- Teaching Incentive Award for Curriculum Revision 1998-1999
- Resident Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching 1994-1995 and 1996-1997
- University of Illinois Bronze Tablet (Academic Honors) 1988