Assistant Clinical Professor
Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Washington State Univesrity
Oklahoma State University, DVM, 1998
University of Calgary, BS in Zoology, 1993
- American Veterinary Dental College, Diplomate,
- Academy of Veterinary Dentistry, Fellow
- American Veterinary Dental Society, President
- Veterinary Dental Educator Group
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Foundation For Veterinary Dentistry, Trustee
- Peter Emily International Veterinary Dental Foundation
- Minnesota State Veterinary Medical License
- Washington State Veterinary Medical License
- Oregon State Veterinary Medical License
- Washington State-USDA Accreditation
Dr. Stepaniuk’s research is clinically oriented and includes odontogenic infection in association with lymphoplasmacytic rhinitis, true prevalence of oral pathology in canine patients, and guided tissue regeneration. These interests stem from his interest in periodontitis and the inflammatory response to periodontal pathogens resulting in local destruction of the periodontal tissues. Future work that is beginning is in the area of canine saliva.
Dr. Stepaniuk enjoys teaching as it is a motivator and challenge for continued learning and a way to give back to veterinary medicine and veterinary dentistry. All aspects of veterinary dentistry and oral surgery are taught. However, Dr. Stepaniuk has a particular passion for periodontal disease, intraoral radiography, and maxillofacial trauma. Finally, Dr. Stepaniuk teaches in the GOALE program (a veterinary leadership experience program) for freshmen veterinary students.
Periodontal disease and guided tissue regeneration, endodontics, oral surgery, and maxillofacial surgery.
- Characterization of the Dog Salivary Proteome in Health.
- Academy of Veterinary Dentistry Veterinary Dental Research Grant, Evaluation of Odontogenic Infection as an Etiology for Lymphoplasmacytic Rhinitis in Dogs, $5000.00, January 2011-2012, Principal Investigator
1. Stepaniuk, KS., Brock, N. Hypothermia and Thermoregulation During Anesthesia for the Dental and Oral Surgery Patient. J V Dent 2008: 25(4); 279-283.
2. Legendre, L., Stepaniuk, KS. Correction of Maxillary Canine Tooth Mesioversion in Dogs. J V Dent 2008; 25(3); 216-221.
3. Stepaniuk, KS., Brock, N. Anesthesia Monitoring in the Dental and Oral Surgery Patient. J V Dent 2008; 25(2); 143-149.
See PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine
Honors and Awards
- Inaugural American Veterinary Dental Society Student Chapter Mentor Award (November 10, 2011)
- American Veterinary Dental Society Presidents Award – For establishment of the Student Chapters of the American Veterinary Dental Society in Veterinary Colleges (2009)
- Honor Society of Phi Zeta
- Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Honor Society of Gamma Sigma Delta
- President’s Honor Roll (1994-1998)
- Veterinary College Dean’s List of Distinguished Students (1994-1998)
- Pharmacia and Upjohn Outstanding Clinical Proficiency Award Small Animal Medicine (1998)
- Merck Award for Academic Excellence (1998)
- Austin W. & Audrey B. Weedn Foundation Scholarship (1997-1998)
- Dean Harry W. Orr Award (1996-1997)
- James E. Durham, Jr. Award (1996-1997)
- Nu Chapter of the Society of Phi Zeta Academic Scholarship (1994-1996)
- Dr. Jack Bostwick Memorial Scholarship (1995-1996)
- Dr. Ted T. Reeder Memorial Award for Anatomy (1994-1995)
- NIH Summer Veterinary Student Research Poster Award (1995)