Submitting Blood, Dew Claws or Semen
Genetic Testing Protocol
The Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory encourages the submission of samples through your veterinarian, and the reporting of results to them. Direct involvement of your veterinarian allows for optimal management of this genetic disease as well as other concurrent medical conditions your dog may have that will affect its management. If owners would also like a copy of the report sent directly to them for their records, please include the owner's email address in the Result Reporting section of the submission form (EIC Form, LPN1 Form, AM-PN Form). Please complete the form online and print it out. This greatly decreases the chance for typos in the report, and helps keep administrative costs down. Complete the form with all the required information on the dog to be tested. If more than one dog is being tested at the same time, complete a form for each dog even if they are from the same litter.
For VPI (verified permanent identification) level registration with OFA, a permanent ID must be verified and signed off by the attending veterinarian on the submission form.
Fees for these tests can be found on the guide and fees page. If you are enclosing payment, please indicate so on the submission form and place a check or money order (made payable to "Regents of the University of Minnesota") in a ziploc bag. For further information on reporting and billing policies, including payment options, please click here.
Whole blood samples are preferred, but dew claws from newborn pups can be submitted as a convenience to reduce the risk of stress on the pup.
- Whole Blood - Draw 1-3 ml into a LAVENDER-TOPPED EDTA TUBE clearly labeled with the dog's and owner's name. Do not spin or extract serum. Invert the tube several times to prevent clotting. Do NOT put tape over the cap of the tube.
- Dew Claws (NEWLY WHELPED PUPPIES ONLY) - Place the pair of removed dew claws into either an empty RED-TOPPED TUBE (preferred) or a small ziploc bag labeled with a unique identifier (such as collar color) and the owner's name. The removal instrument should be wiped free of visible blood/tissue between pups. Dew claws may be stored in the freezer if you are waiting on the results of parents before testing.
- Semen - Send one straw or 1/2 cc in an empty RED-TOPPED TUBE labeled with the dog's and owner's name
Packing and Shipping
Please complete a submission form for each dog. Do not submit a litter on one submission form. If you are sending more than one sample in a package, please include a sheet of paper indicating the number of samples sent.
- Whole Blood - Place blood tubes in a ziploc bag or in a hard plastic container, such as a pill bottle. If you are sending multiple tubes, each must be sent in its own bag or container to prevent contamination in the event a tube breaks. Cushion in between samples with bubble wrap, newspaper or paper towels. Please do not use styrofoam peanuts.
- Dew Claws - If you are sending glass containers, place the tubes in a ziploc bag and cushion in between samples with bubble wrap, newspaper or paper towels. Please do not use styrofoam peanuts.
- Semen - Place straws or collection tubes in a ziploc bag and cushion in between samples with bubble wrap, newspaper or paper towels. Semen samples do not need to be sent on liquid nitrogen.
If you are sending glass collection tubes you MUST send in a padded, leak-proof container, NO ENVELOPES!!!
Ship to arrive within 7-10 days to the address below. Shipment should be scheduled so that it will NOT arrive during a weekend or holiday period.
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
University of Minnesota
1333 Gortner Ave
St. Paul, MN 55108
Phone: (612) 625-8787
If you are shipping samples from outside the United States, please review these USDA Guidelines for Importation.
EIC Home Page LPN1 Home Page AM-PN Home Page