Culturing for Tritrichomonas fetus
Tritrichomonas fetus transport medium (Diamond’s) is available from the laboratory. Request the medium at least one week before you anticipate collecting the samples.
The recommended procedure for collecting preputial specimens is as follows:
- Fix a 10 ml syringe to an insemination pipette by attaching a hypodermic needle to the syringe, inserting the needle into the lumen of the pipette, and slipping a short, snug-fitting piece of rubber tubing over the pipette and the hub of the needle
- Insert the pipette into the prepuce up to the fornix.
- Open the syringe to 7-8 ml and move the pipette 8 to 10 times back and forth 15-20 cm in the prepuce. Scrape the mucosa of the penis with the tip of the pipette as you move it back and forth.
- Release the plunger and withdraw the pipette. It is preferable to get the pipette at least 1/4 full of smegma
- Expel 1/2 of the pipette content on to the top of the (Diamond’s) Trich medium.
- Identify the tubes clearly.
- Ship the tubes to the laboratory by the quickest means available to ensure overnight delivery
- Double bag and ship in an insulated cooler
- Do not ship on ice
Allow at least 5 days for results of the cultures. Remember that a single negative culture does not provide absolute assurance that the bull is free of Tritrichomonas.
Tritrichomonas fetus is not likely to persist in the bovine vagina for an extended period of time. Therefore, taking vaginal samples several months after the end of the breeding season (at pregnancy testing for instance) may not be successful.
Cows in estrus are often the best subjects for sampling.
The same instruments described for collecting preputial samples may be used for taking vaginal mucus samples.
It helps reduce contamination of the sample if the pipette is shielded with a small tube or vaginal speculum as it is passed forward to the external os of the cervix.
Try to draw the pipette at least 1/4 full of mucus.
The remaining procedure is the same as for preputial samples.
Alternatively, you can use the InPouch™ TF to submit samples.
• Using the InPouch™ TF
- Inoculate InPouch™ TF top of the pouch with the sample and flush the pipette with the pouch media
- Squeeze air out of the bottom of the pouch
- Squeeze contents from the top of the pouch to the bottom
- Roll down the top of the pouch, secure the pouch with the wire strips Do not use lactated ringers solution
- Do not refrigerate, store at room temperature
To order InPouch™ TF:
Catalog # 11-1001 20 test kit