Equine Center Visiting Hours and Policies
Our goal is to provide all animals in the Veterinary Medical Center Large Animal facilities with the best possible care. We need your help to maintain appropriate infection control, as well as to ensure that hospital staff have adequate time to maintain facilities and care for all patients.
In order to ensure optimal medical care, clients with animals in the Large Animal facilities will be required to comply with the following guidelines:
1. Large Animal Hospital and Equine Center visiting hours are from 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and from 10:00am to 1:00pm on weekends and University holidays. Clients with hospitalized patients may visit for up to 60 minutes per day.
2. While visits to the Equine Center may occur at any time during visiting hours, visits to patients at the Large Animal Hospital are by appointment only during the times listed above. Please discuss your visitation needs with your doctor or technician.
3. All visits must occur in or outside your animal’s specified stall. Please do not walk your animal outside of the stall without the permission and supervision of a student or staff.
4. Visitation will be limited to immediate family or up to 2 individuals designated by the owner (this may include friends, trainers, or barn staff). All children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
5. If your animal is considered contagious or potentially contagious, visits will be restricted. Animals hospitalized in isolation or partial isolation stalls (including critical neonates) may be visited by appointment with your veterinarian for up to 20 minutes, one visit per day. All visitors to isolation or partial isolation stalls will be expected to adhere to infection control protocols, including but not limited to disinfecting, gowning and gloving upon arrival and departure. All visits to isolation are supervised to facilitate compliance with infection control protocols and to ensure the safety of patients and visitors. Visitation may be terminated or denied at any time at the discretion of your veterinarian, dependent on the condition of the patient and/or the need for your veterinarian to attend to incoming emergencies.
6. Visiting outside standard visiting hours and time limits is not allowed without an appointment with a veterinarian, technical staff, or the student assigned to your animal’s case. After hours and extended visitation is not possible without prior authorization.
7. All visitors are required to sign in at the front desk prior to entering visiting areas.
8. Please adhere to the VMC’s infection control guidelines when visiting your animal! Please wash your hands thoroughly before and after each visit, and do not touch animals other than your own.
9. All clients are strongly advised to pre-arrange visit consultations with their doctor. Please be aware that your doctor may not be available for consultation at the time of your visit. If you would like to speak to your doctor, please inform staff when you can be reached by phone and you will be contacted at your doctor’s earliest convenience.
10. Please do not enter clinical areas of the hospital or otherwise walk through areas marked “Authorized Personnel Only.”
11.Immune-compromised individuals, including children under the age of 12, should not visit patients in Isolation or Partial Isolation.
12.Clients with hospitalized animals must leave VMC premises upon conclusion of visiting hours. If you wish to stay near the facility, please ask the front desk for a list of local lodging and dining options.