Info for referring vets
24-Hour emergency service
Call Emergency Service at 612-626-VETS (8387)
Small Animal Referrals
Call the Customer Contact Center at 612-626-VETS (8387) or 800-258-6838
By email or fax
Complete and submit an online Referral Request
- Download and fill out the referral form completely and attach the medical record and fax to 612-624-8779 or email to email@example.com.
- Please do not write "see enclosed records." Use our forms whenever possible to make certain our clinicians have all the information they need.
- Indicate whether you are referring for a consultation, diagnosis, diagnosis and treatment, or second opinion.
- Confirm all phone numbers for owners before making referrals to avoid a delay in processing the appointment.
- If anesthesia is anticipated, send the results of lab work completed within the previous month.
- Send a copy of the medical record and appropriate radiographs with the client. When at all possible, please send radiographs as original DICOM (.dcm) image files. If you are unsure how to do this, please contact your vendor.
Large Animal Referrals
- No referral form is needed
- Upon calling, you will be transferred to a Large Animal clinician to discuss your referral case.
- Send a copy of any applicable information, medical records, etc. with the client.
- Please verify with the client the location of the referral site where you are sending them:
Piper Performance Clinic
Piper Equine Clinic
1801 Dudley Ave
St. Paul, MN 55108
Large Animal Hospital
University of Minnesota
Veterinary Medical Center
1365 Gortner Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
Advanced Veterinary Imaging Direct (AVID)
Our AVID service offers area veterinarians an opportunity to send their patients to the Veterinary Medical Center for outpatient imaging services (such as ultrasounds, CT scans, MRI scans, routine special procedures such as upper airway exams, upper GI studies, intravenous urograms, etc).
To learn more about this service, please visit our Advanced Veterinary Imaging Direct website.
To request an imaging procedure, please fill out the online request form.
You may also call 612-624-9583 and leave a voicemail for the AVID technician. Please note: this voicemail is checked throughout the day, but may take up to one business day to return your call.
Radiologist Radiographic Consultation
Our board certified radiologists are available to review radiographs or other imaging procedures performed at your clinic or elsewhere.
For Non-VHA clinics:
Please review our FAQ sheet on submitting radiographs for consultations. Please fill out & submit your request form to the Medical Imaging Department. NOTE: our radiologists will only accept DICOM images for interpretation. For diagnostic reasons we are unable to review JPEG, TIFF, BMP, PNG, or other image formats.
If you have digital technology, you may also want to consider signing up for our Teleradiology Service through DVMInsight. To learn more about this service please review the Teleradiology Information page on the radiology website.
For VHA Clinics:
Please review the VHA website for information regarding submitting radiographs to the University of Minnesota for interpretation.
For up-to-date information on submitting radiographs for consultation, please review the radiology website: http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vetrad/referring/home.html