Small Animal Hospital Visiting Hours and Policies
Monday-Friday 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
5:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Weekend 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Holiday 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
*Maximum of two visits per day
*Visiting hours are limited to enable our veterinarians and technicians to assess and treat patients in a timely and appropriate manner. Due to privacy concerns, you will only have access to your animal and information about your animal.
- Small Animal Hospital visiting hours are from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Weekend and holiday visiting hours are from 10:00am to 12:00pm and 3:00pm to 6:00pm. These hours apply to all hospitalized patients. Visits with hospitalized patients will be limited to 60 minutes per visit, with two visits maximum per day.
- All visits must occur in specified visiting areas, including the Commons (west hospital cubicles), the ICU Visiting Room, and the Client Comfort Room (VMC 310). Please do not visit with your pet outside of these areas or take your pet outdoors without the permission and supervision of a student or staff.
- If your pet cannot be safely removed from his/her kennel for visitation, staff may escort you into the Intensive Care Unit or Wards for visitation. Only immediate family is permitted to visit in clinical areas, and only one person will be allowed to visit at a time. Your visit to ICU or your pet’s hospital ward will be limited to a total of 30 minutes (two visits per day). Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult family member. Visitation may be terminated or denied at any time at the discretion of ICU staff, dependant on the condition of patients and/or a veterinary crisis in the unit.
- Clients may visit patients housed in Isolation during standard visiting hours and at the discretion of hospital staff. Visitation to isolation cases is limited to window viewing only for a maximum of 15 minutes per visiting block.
- Visiting outside standard visiting hours and time limits is not permitted without an appointment with, and supervision by, your veterinarian. After hours visitation without clinician authorization will not be accommodated.
- All visitors are required to check in at the front desk prior to entering visiting areas. Visitors will be asked to sign in and to wear visitor badge.
- Please adhere to the VMC’s infection control guidelines when visiting your animal! Clients may not bring raw meat, including BARF diets, into the hospital for patient consumption in order to prevent potentially infectious agent contamination of all ICU patients. Please do not sit or lie in your animal’s kennel, and make sure to disinfect your hands before and after each visit.
- All clients are strongly advised to pre-arrange visit consultations with their doctor. Please be aware that direct communication with your doctor may not be available at the time of visitation. Your doctor will be informed of your visit. Circumstances may necessitate that communication with your doctor occur by phone at a later time.
Please turn off your cell phone during your visit.
- Please do not enter clinical areas of the hospital or otherwise walk through areas marked “Authorized Personnel Only.”
- Clients are not permitted to view anesthesia induction/recovery, or surgery.
- Clients with hospitalized animals are encouraged to leave the hospital once visiting hours conclude. Please check with the front desk for a list of local lodging and dining options. Due to University security restrictions, clients may not stay at the VMC overnight.