Center Animal Health and Food Safety
1354 Eckles Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
- PhD, Food Technology - Institute of Agrochemistry and Food Technology (IATA-CSIC), Valencia, Spain
- MS, Food Science and Technology - Polytechnic University of Valencia, Spain
- BS, Agricultural Engineering - Polytechnic University of Valencia, Spain
Dr. Sampedro's expertise includes the application of non-thermal intervention technologies such as pulsed electric fields, high pressure processing and UV to improve the safety and quality of liquid foods conducted during his postdoctoral fellowship at the US Department of Agriculture's Agriculture Research Service (ARS), Eastern Regional Research Center in Philadelphia, PA. Dr. Sampedro’s current interests include the development of integrated risk assessments that consider microbial and animal health risk across the entire food supply chain, from “farm to fork”. Modeling the entire food chain allows more robust consideration of food safety intervention options at different stages along the process including growing, harvesting, processing, distribution, food service and retail. His international experience includes the development of a risk analysis framework within government agencies in different Latin American countries.
Selected peer-reviewed manuscripts
- Sampedro, F; Rodrigo, M; Martínez, A; Rodrigo, M; Barbosa-Cánovas, G.V. Quality and safety aspects of PEF application in milk and milk products. Journal: Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 45, 1-23, 2005.
- Sampedro, F; Rodrigo, D; Martínez, A; Rodrigo, M; Barbosa-Cánovas, G.V. Review: application of pulsed electric fields in egg and egg products. Food Science and Technology International, 12, 397-406, 2006.
- Sampedro, F., Rivas, A., Rodrigo, D., Martínez, A. Rodrigo, M. Effect of temperature and substrate on PEF inactivation of L. plantarum in an orange juice-milk beverage. European Food Research and Technology, 223, 30-34, 2006.
- Sampedro, F., Rivas, A., Rodrigo, D., Martínez, A. Rodrigo, M. Application of pulsed electric fields (PEF) in an orange juice-milk based beverage: effect of process parameters in the inactivation of L. plantarum. Journal of Food Engineering, 80, 931-938, 2007.
- Rivas, A., Rodrigo, D., Company, B., Sampedro F., Rodrigo, M. Effects of pulsed electric fields on water-soluble vitamins and ACE inhibitory peptides added to a mixed orange juice and milk beverage. Food Chemistry, 104, 1550-1559, 2007.
- Sampedro, F., Rodrigo, D., Hendrickx, M. Inactivation kinetics of pectin methyl esterase under combined thermal-high pressure treatment in an orange juice-milk beverage. Journal of Food Engineering, 86, 133-139, 2008.
- Sampedro, F; Geveke, D. J., Fan, X., Rodrigo, D., Zhang, Q. H. Shelf-life study of an orange juice-milk based beverage after PEF and thermal processing. Journal of Food Science, 74, 107-112, 2009.
- Sampedro, F; Geveke, D. J., Fan, X., Zhang, Q. H. Effect of PEF, HHP and thermal treatment on PME inactivation and volatile compounds of an orange juice-milk based beverage. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, 10, 469-473, 2009.
- Sampedro, F., Rodrigo, D., Martínez, A. Modelling the effect of pH and pectin concentration on the PEF inactivation of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium by using the Monte Carlo simulation. Food Control, 22, 420-425, 2011.
- Carreño, JM., Gurrea, MC., Sampedro, F., Carbonell JV. Effect of high hydrostatic pressure and high pressure homogenisation on Lactobacillus plantarum inactivation kinetics and quality parameters of mandarin juice. European Food Research and Technology, 232, 265-274, 2011.
- Rodrigo, D., Sampedro, F., Martínez, A., Barbosa-Cánovas, G.V., Rodrigo, M. 2005. Application of PEF in orange juice products, In: Novel Food Processing Technologies, Ed. G.V. Barbosa-Cánovas., S. Tapia., M.P. Cano, ISBN: 0-8247-5333-X, CRC Press.
- Elez, P., Rodrigo, D., Sampedro, F. Martín-Belloso, O. 2007. Enzymes, shelf life and product quality, In: Food Preservation by Pulsed Electric Fields: From Research to Application, Ed. H L M Lelieveld, S Notermans and S W H de Haan, ISBN: 1845690583, Woodhead Publishing Ltd.
- Sampedro, F., Rodrigo, D., Fan, X. 2010. High hydrostatic pressure processing of fruit juices and smoothies: research and commercial application, In: Case studies in novel food processing techniques, Ed. Doona, C., Kustin, K., Feeherry, F, ISBN: 1 84569 551 8, Woodhead Publishing Ltd.
- Collado, J., Falcó, A., Rodrigo, D., Sampedro, F., Pina, M.C., Martinez, A. 2011. Application of Monte Carlo Simulation in Industrial Microbiological Exposure Assessment, In: Applications of Monte Carlo method in science and engineering, Ed. Mordechai, S. ISBN: 978-953-307-691-1, INTECH.
- Sampedro, F., Zhang, Q.H. 2012. Recent developments in nonthermal processes, In: Food and Industrial Bioproducts and Bioprocessing, Ed. Dunford, N, Wiley-Blackwell.
- Sampedro, F. 2012. Resistance of spoilage Lactobacillus spp. to food processing technologies, In: Lactobacillus: Classification, Uses and Health Implications, Ed. Perez, AI., Leon, A. ISBN: 978-1-62081-151-1, Nova Publishers.