495 G AS/VM Bldg
1988 Fitch Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
- DVM University of Minnesota, College of Veterinary Medicine (2006)
- MS in Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota (2002)
- BA in Environmental Studies and Biology (1995)
- Certificate of Veterinary Public Health (2010)
- Certificate Diploma Swine Medicine (2006)
Bio Statement: Mac Farnham is an Assistant Professor at the College of Veterinary Medicine and Adjunct Instructor at the School of Public Health at the University of Minnesota. Since May 2010, Dr. Farnham has led technical programs for the US Agency for International Development’s Emerging Pandemic Threats RESPOND project, with a particular focus on applying One Health methodologies and collaborative approaches towards capacity building in disease outbreak response for countries in Eastern and Central Africa. With formal training and work experience as a public health veterinarian, epidemiologist, virologist, animal product export officer, marine biologist, wildlife control technician and agricultural extension volunteer – Dr. Farnham strives to become a ‘One Health’ practitioner. He is an experienced collaborator who has worked across cultural, disciplinary, government, academic and private sectoral boundaries to produce valued partnerships and networks across the world. Dr. Farnham has committed himself to developing and strengthening local collaborative methodologies to address complex global issues such as food insecurity, antimicrobial resistance, trans-boundary animal diseases, and emerging disease threats in and between human, domestic animal and wildlife populations.
- 'One Health'
- Ecosystem Health
- Zoonotic Diseases
- Food Security
- Food Safety
- Emerging Infectious Diseases
- Disease Outbreak Response
- Disease Surveillance
One Health Leadership, Policy, Risk Communication, Disease Outbreak Surveillance and Response, Veterinary Public Health, Zoonotic Disease
- Travis DA, Chapman DW, Craft ME, Deen J, Farnham MW, Garcia C, Hueston WD, Kock R, Mahero M, Mugisha L, Nzietchueng S, Nutter FB, Olson D, Pekol A, Pelican KM, Robertson C, Rwego IB. (2014) One Health: lessons learned from East Africa. In R.M. Atlas and S. Maloy (Eds.), Microbiology Spectrum 2(1):OH-0017-2012. doi:10.1128/microbiolspec.OH-0017-2012.
- Continuing Education and Incorporation of the One Health Concept (2013)
M.W. Farnham, W. Hueston. 12th Conference of the OIE Regional Commission for the Middle East. Amman, Jordan. 23-26 September 2013. Final Report. Web-link: http://www.oie.int/publications-and-documentation/compendium-of-technical-items/
Mac Farnham - Technical Advisor, John Deen UMN PI
USAID RESPOND / DAI, Co-Ag # GHN-A-00-09-00015-00, Amount $55,461,343.27
Dates: Oct 1, 2009 to Sept 29, 2014