225 Veterinary Medical Center
1365 Gortner Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
B.S. Agriculture, Kansas State University (1998)
D.V.M., Kansas State University (2000)
Internship, Large Animal, University of Georgia (2000-2001)
Residency, Equine Internal Medicine, Kansas State University (2001-2004)
M.S., Kansas State University, (2004)
Ph.D., University of Minnesota (2007)
Post-Doctoral, University of Minnesota (2007-2008)
Diplomate American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Large Animal
Our research group uses is to use the latest molecular genetics and genomics tools to study complex genetic disease, physiological variation and genetic diversity in equine populations. Our goals are to improve equine health through the understanding of complex genetic disease, allowing veterinarians to better predict, diagnose, and treat genetic disease, and to improve human health through the use of the horse as a biomedical model. We are working on a variety of diseases in horses including Equine Metabolic Syndrome, Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy, Recurrent Exertional Rhabdodyolysis, and melanoma susceptibility. We are also studying equine genetic diversity and the impact of selective breeding practices on equine health and disease susceptibility. For more information about our current projects please see the Equine Genetics and Genomics Laboratory website at: http://www.cvm.umn.edu/equinegenetics/home.html
- Neurologic, respiratory disease and genetic diseases of horses
- Clinical research focuses on the treatment and management of genetic diseases
- Lectures in large animal GI
- Lectures in Advanced Equine I and III
- Large Animal Medicine Rotation
A. Current Extramural Funding
- Regulation of Glycogen Metabolism: Insights from Novel Genetic Models (2009-2014), Principal Investigator, NIH NAIMS, Budget: $636,120
- Integrated Research and Extension Program for Equine Metabolic Syndrome and Shivers (2009-2013), Co-Program Director (Martinson [extension], McCue [research]), USDA, 43.0 Animal Genome (A) Translational Animal Genomics, Budget: $550,000
- Genetic Diversity and Selection in the Domestic Horse (2012-2015), Program Director, USDA-AFRI, Budget: $499,481
- Investigation of Genetic Risk Factors for Osteochondrosis in the Horse, Principal Investigator, United States Equestrian Federation, Inc, Budget: $25,800
- Role of incretin biology in equine metabolic syndrome (2011-2012), Co-Principal Investigator, Morris Animal Foundation, Budget $59,397
- Selective Breeding Practices in the American Quarter Horse: Impact on Health and Disease (2012-2013), Principal Investigator, American Quarter Horse Foundation, Budget: $64,932
B. Current Training Grant /Fellowship Support for graduate students
- Molecular bases of equine polysaccharide storage myopathies, Co-Investigator/Mentor (Raffaella Teixeira-post-doctoral fellow, PhD student), Morris Animal Foundation Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Budget: $100,000
- Pfizer Animal Health-Morris Animal Foundation Fellowship (2009-2013), Principal Investigator/Mentor (Nichol Schultz-trainee), Pfizer Animal Health-Morris Animal Foundation, Budget $240,000
- NIH Training Grant in Comparative Medicine (2010-2013), Co-investigator/Mentor (Annette McCoy-trainee), NIH NCRR
C. Current Intramural Funding
- Investigation of Genetic Risk Factors of Hock Osteochondrosis in Standardbred Horses, Principal Investigator, University of Minnesota Equine Center, Budget: $14,876
- Genetic Loci for Recurrent Exertional Rhabdomyolysis in Thoroughbred and Standardbred Horses (2013), Principal Investigator, University of Minnesota Wellstone Muscular Dystrophy Center, p30 Pilot project, Budget: $50,000
Honors and Awards
- NIH Post-Doctoral Fellowship Comparative Medicine and Pathology, 2004-2007
- Comparative and Molecular Biosciences Travel Award, 2005, 2006
- Agnes Hansen Travel Award, Xi Chapter of Graduate Women in Science, 2006
- USDA-NRSP8 Equine Genome Workshop Travel Award, 2007
- Best Graduate Student Research Award University of Minnesota, 2007
- University of Minnesota Doctoral Dissertation Fellow, 2007-2008
- University of Minnesota Women’s Leadership Institute, 2007-2008
- Morris Animal Foundation Fellow, 2007-2009
- USDA-NRSP8 Equine Genome Workshop Chair, 2011
Nichol Schultz, DVM - Ph.D. (expected 2013)
Annette McCoy, DVM - Ph.D. (expected 2014)
Raffa Teixeira, DVM - M.S. (2012), PhD (expected 2015)
For a listing of publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine, and Google Scholar.
- *Teixeira, R, Rendahl AK, Anderson, S, Sigler, D, Buchanan, B, Coleman, B, Mickelson, JR, McCue, ME. Role of coat color genotypes in melanoma risk and severity in gray Quarter Horses. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine (in revision).
- *Petersen, JL, Mickelson, JR, Cothran, EG, AK, Andersson, LS, Axelsson, J, Bailey, E, Bannasch, D, Binns, MM, Borges, AS, Brama, P, de Câmara Machado, A, Distl, O, Felicetti, M, Fox-Clipsham, L, Graves, KT , Guérin, G, Haase, B, Hasegawa, T, Hemmann, K, Hill, EW, Leeb, T, Lindgren, G, Lohi, H, Lopes, MS, McGivney, BA, Mikko, S, Orr, N, Penedo, MCT, Piercy, RJ, Raekallio, M, Rieder, S, Røed, KH, Silvestrelli, M, Swinburne, J, Tozaki, T, Vaudin, M, Wade, CM, McCue, ME. Genetic diversity in the modern horse illustrated from genome-wide SNP data. PLoS One (accepted for publication)
- Lykkjen, S, Dolvik, NI, McCue, ME, Rendahl, AK, Mickelson, JR, Roed, KH. Genome-wide association analysis of osteochondrosis of the metacarpophalangeal joint in Norwegian Standardbred trotters. Animal Genetics. (accepted for publication)
- *Petersen, JL, Mickelson, JR, Rendahl, AK, Valberg, SJ, Andersson, LS, Axelsson, J, Bailey, E, Bannasch, D, Binns, MM, Borges, AS, Brama, P, de Câmara Machado, A, Capomaccio, S, Cappelli, K, Cothran, EG, Distl, O, Fox-Clipsham, L, Graves, KT , Guérin, G, Haase, B, Hasegawa, T, Hemmann, K, Hill, EW, Leeb, T, Lindgren, G, Lohi, H, Lopes, MS, McGivney, BA, Mikko, S, Orr, N, Penedo, MCT, Piercy, RJ, Raekallio, M, Rieder, S, Røed, KH, Swinburne, J, Tozaki, T, Vaudin, M, Wade, CM, McCue, ME. Genome-wide analysis reveals selection for important traits in domestic horse breeds. PLoS Genetics 9(1): e1003211, doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1003211
- Raudsepp, T, McCue, ME, Das, PJ, Dobson, L, Vishnoi, Fritz, KL, Schaefer, R, Rendahl, AK, Love, CC, Chowdhary, BP, Varner, DD. Genome-Wide Association Study Identifies Testis-Sperm Specific FKBP6 as a Susceptibility Locus for Impaired Acrosome Reaction in Stallions. PLoS Genetics 8(12): e1003139. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1003139.
- Andersson, LS, Schwochow, D, Larhammar, M, Rubin, CJ, Arnason, T, Wellbring, L, Hjälm, G, Imsland, F, Petersen, JL, McCue, ME, Mickelson, JR, Cothran, G, Roepstorff, L, Mikko, S, Kullander, K, Lindgren, G and Andersson, L. Mutations in DMRT3 affect locomotion in horses and spinal circuit function in mice. Nature 2012 Aug 30; 488(7413):642-6. doi: 10.1038/nature11399.
- *Fritz, KL, McCue, ME, Valberg, SJ, Rendahl, AK, Mickelson, JR. Whole genome association and fine structure mapping of recurrent exertional rhabdomyolysis in North American Thoroughbred horses. Animal Genetics 2012 Mar 23. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2052.2012.02351.
- Doan, R, Cohen, N, Nerren, J, Veazy, K, Juras, R, Cothran, G, Skow, L, McCue, ME, Dindot, SV. Identification of Copy Number Variants in Horses. Genome Research Published in advance March 1, 2012, doi:10.1101/gr.128991.111.
- McCue, ME, Bannasch, DL, Petersen, JL, Bailey, E, Binns, MM, Distl, O, Guérin, G, Hasegawa, T, Hill, EW, Leeb, T, Lindgren, G, Penedo, MCT, Røed, KH, Ryder, OA, Swinburne, JE, Tozaki, T, Valberg, SJ, Vaudin, M, Lindblad-Toh, K, Wade, CM, Mickelson, JR. A High Density SNP Array for the Domestic Horse and Extant Perissodactyla: Utility for Association Mapping, Genetic Diversity and Phylogeny Studies. PLoS Genetics 8(1): e1002451. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1002451.
- Valberg, SJ, McCue, ME, Mickelson JR. The Interplay of Genetics, Exercise, and Nutrition in Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science 31 (2011) 205-210.
- ME McCue, SM Anderson, SJ Valberg, RJ Piercy, S Barakzai, MM Binns, O Distl, MCT Penedo, ML Wagner, JR Mickelson. Estimated prevalence of the Type 1 Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy mutation in selected North American and European breeds. Animal Genetics, 2010 Dec; 41 Suppl 2:145-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2052.2010.02124.x.
- J.D. Baird, S.J. Valberg, S. M. Anderson, M.E. McCue, J.R. Mickelson. Presence of the Glycogen Synthase 1 (GYS1) mutation causing Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy in Continental European Draught horse breeds. Veterinary Record. 2010 Nov 13; 167 (20):781-4.
- S. Lykkjen, N.I. Dolvik, M.E. McCue, A.K. Rendahl, J.R. Mickelson, K.H. Roed. Genome-wide association analysis of osteochondrosis of the tibiotarsal joint in Norwegian Standardbred trotters. Animal Genetics, 2010 Dec; 41 Suppl 2:111-20. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2052.2010.02117.x. PMID: 21070284.
- Borgia LA, Valberg SJ, McCue ME, Watts K, Pagan JD. Glycemic and Insulinemic Responses to Feeding Hay with Different Water Soluble Carbohydrate Content in Control and Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy-affected Horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 2010 Mar; 71 (3):326-36. PMID: 20187835
- Borgia L, Valberg S, McCue ME, Pagan J and Roe C. The effect of dietary odd and even carbon fat on metabolic response and muscle damage with exercise in Quarter Horse-related breeds with Type 1 Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 2010 Mar; 71 (3):326-36.
- Tryon RC, Penedo MC, McCue ME, Valberg SJ, Mickelson JR, Famula TR, Wagner ML, Jackson M, Hamilton MJ, Nooteboom S, Bannasch DL. Evaluation of allele frequencies of inherited disease genes in subgroups of American Quarter Horses. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 2009 Jan 1; 234 (1):120-5.
- Herszberg B, McCue ME, Larcher T, Mata X, Vaiman A, Chaffaux S, Chérel Y, Valberg SJ, Mickelson JR, Guérin G. A GYS1 gene mutation is highly associated with polysaccharide storage myopathy in Cob Normand draught horses. Animal Genetics. 2009 Feb; 40 (1):94-6.16.
- McCue ME, Valberg SJ, Jackson M, Borgia L, Lucio M, Mickelson JR. Polysaccharide storage myopathy phenotype in quarter horse-related breeds is modified by the presence of an RYR1 mutation. Neuromuscular Disorders. 2009 Jan; 19 (1):37-43.
*Abstract publication of this data was recognized in the American Association of Equine Practitioners Kester News Hour as most significant contribution to equine medicine in 2008
- McCue, ME, Valberg, SJ, Pagan, J and Roe, C. Effect of Triheptanoin on Muscle Metabolism during Submaximal Exercise in Horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 2009 Aug; 70 (8):1043-52.
- McCue, ME, Armién, AG, Valberg, SJ, Lucio, M, Mickelson, JR. Comparative skeletal muscle histopathologic and ultrastructural features in two forms of Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy in horses. Veterinary Pathology. 2009 Nov; 46 (6):1281-91.
- Stanley RL, McCue ME, Valberg SJ, Mickelson JR, Mayhew IG, McGowan C, Hahn CN, Patterson-Kane JC, Piercy RJ. A glycogen synthase 1 mutation associated with equine polysaccharide storage myopathy and exertional rhabdomyolysis occurs in a variety of UK breeds. Equine Veterinary Journal. 2009 Jul; 41 (6):597-601.
*Awarded the Equine Veterinary Journal Open Award for Literary Merit 2009 (Vol. 41)
- Hunt, LM, Valberg, SJ, Steffenhagen, K, McCue, ME. An Epidemiologic Study of Myopathies in Warmblood Horses. Equine Veterinary Journal. Mar 40(2): 171-7, 2008.
- McCue, ME, Valberg, SJ and Mickelson JR. Glycogen synthase (GYS1) mutation in diverse breeds with Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 22(5): 1228-1233, 2008.
*Recognized in the American Association of Equine Practitioners Kester News Hour as most significant contribution to equine medicine in 2008
- McCue ME, Valberg SJ, Miller, M, Wade C, Mickelson JR. Glycogen synthase 1 mutation causes a novel myopathy in horses. Genomics 91 (5): 458-466, 2008.
*Ranked by the Faculty 1000 of Medicine (Neuromuscular Disorders) in 2009
*Recognized in the American Association of Equine Practitioners Kester News Hour as most significant contribution to equine medicine in 2008
- Dranchak PK, Leiper FC, Valberg SJ, Piercy RP, Carling DC, McCue ME Mickelson JR. Biochemical and genetic evaluation of the role of AMP activated protein kinase in polysaccharide storage myopathy in Quarter Horses. American Journal of Veterinary Research 2007; 68 (10):1079-1084.
- McCue ME, Valberg SJ. Estimated prevalence of polysaccharide storage myopathy among overtly healthy Quarter Horses in the United States. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2007; 231: 746-50.
- McCue ME, Ribiero WP, Valberg SJ. Prevalence of polysaccharide storage myopathy in horses with neuromuscular disorders. Equine Veterinary Journal 2006: 36 (S) 340-344.
- Davis EG, McCue ME, Rush BR. Equine recumbency: defining the problem and establishing the differential diagnoses. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian. 26 (1):67-77; 2004.
- McCue ME, Davis EG, Rush BR. Diagnostic evaluation, clinical management and transport of the recumbent horse. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian. 2004:26 (2)138-148.
- Davis EG, McCue ME, Rush BR. Treatment and Supportive Care of Recumbent Horses. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian. 2004:26 (3) 216-228.
- Rush BR, Davis EG, McCue ME. Equine recumbency: Complications and Slinging. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian. Vet. 2004: 26(4) 256-259.
- McCue ME, Davis EG, Rush BR, Cox JH, Wilkerson MJ. Dexamethasone for treatment of multisystemic eosinophilic epitheliotropic disease in a horse. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 2003 Nov 1; 223 (9):1320-3, 1281.
- ME McCue (MM Thomsen), EG Davis, BR Rush. Severe laminitis caused by exposure to black walnut shavings. Veterinary and Human Toxicology 2000:42(l) 8 11.
- BR Rush, ES Raub, ME McCue (MM Thomsen), JE Hakala, CJ Matson. Pulmonary function and adrenal gland suppression with incremental doses of aerosolized beclomethasone dipropionate in horses with recurrent airway obstruction. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 2000 1; 217 (3):359-64.